Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Inner Journey #1: Becoming a Wife Without Losing Your Identity

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Inner Journey #1: Becoming a Wife Without Losing Your Identity





Right before I met Bill, I was again caught in the web of a driven life in America. Aside from babysitting a grandson, I was teaching in three schools of higher learning and volunteering to counsel small businesses for the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE). I felt doomed; I was truly not wife-material! 

Enter a knight in shining armor. Bill was almost as driven as I was. He had been President/CEO of a national printing solutions company, board director for the Document Management Industry Association, active in church and politics, and owner of a printing franchise. Early in 2007 we “fashionably” met on the Net and at 8 pm on 08/08/08, we married on Champagne Lady, a private cruise ship, on Washington’s Lake Union. We cruised together to a life of cruising in an RV. 

We crossed the continent in a whirlwind, from Canada to Mexico and all over the US. It became an extended honeymoon. But in the mainly white RV communities of campgrounds, I met only one Asian, a Hispanic couple, and a few African Americans in almost five years. So different from my homeland, the lifestyle was fatal for the Filipina in me. I longed for a familiar social support system. At first, each scenic sight became a coping mechanism. But soon I wanted to throw out the pillow we bought at the Palm Springs Villagefest. It said, “We get along in our RV ‘cuz we have no room to disagree!” 

All couples disagree. John Gottman's bestseller The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work says that 69% of a couple’s problems will never go away because most disagreements are rooted in fundamental differences. Dan Wile said it another way in his book After the Honeymoon: “When choosing a long-term partner… you will inevitably be selecting a particular set of unsolvable problems that you’ll be grappling with for the next ten, twenty, or fifty years.”  

For us, that 69% statistic may as well be 96%! We met with values and habits very set and with personal, gender, and cultural differences to boot. I found out that I was way more driven than he was. He had patience, I didn’t. We increasingly had fights and we weren’t doing it right. Another best seller by John Gottman (with wife Julie Fight Right was published in Nov. 2023. It could have helped us turn conflict into connection. 

On January 2013 after New Year’s Day, Bill left me in Seattle with my daughter and he went to his son in Boise. During tough times, I usually bury my attention on something else. That was when my first book, Carolina: Cruising to an American Dream, was born. It reaffirmed who I was as a person. When Bill came back on Valentine’s Day, we were able to see that neither had to change himself/herself. We found out that we still shared our passion for travel (Lesson #5). We just had to change our circumstances (Lesson #9) and go on to a new phase of discovering the world. 

After a survey of the Southwest, in October of the same year, we settled on Viewpoint Golf Resort in Mesa, Arizona as a base. I have been to thirty-five countries from that base, he was with me in twenty-five. Four years later, our base was no longer a parked RV. He carried me over the threshold. It was a thrilling first experience, at 69!    

We were assured that we had a good level of compatibility with 7 Qs (Lesson #8): intelligence, morals, finance, religion, politics, and desirability.  My tremendous luck is that he is a man with a high emotional quotient. He had a twenty-nine-year marriage that ended only because she passed on due to cancer. My first lasted ten; the second, two. 

Bill’s consistent request was for me to view the totality of the relationship, not any specific situation, certainly not the moment, and not to withdraw every time there was a difficulty (Lesson#3). I learned how to stay, without losing my identity. It was the deep respect we had for each other, being similarly accomplished, that made us stay and remain committed (Lesson #10).

Last August, we renewed our vows on our fifteenth anniversary (headline photo) on the island of Oahu in the presence of our families. My inner journey to becoming a wife is complete.  

Next Week: How to Stay Young as Late as Possible: The Longevity Diet Part 1

21 comments:

  1. These are 5 lessons that helped me become a wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much! It's so easy for women or men to lose themselves in their marriages. You become one, but you're still your own people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips! It's so easy to lose yourself in a relationship. You have to remember to keep your identity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you want to keep the relationship so much, you compromise and lose yourself.

      Delete
  4. This is a great read. I got married right when we moved to the other side of the world and I felt like I lost myself.But my husband was great in supporting me and helping me find myself again. I came out so much stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband had more faith in my abilities than I did. He encouraged me to start my own law practice. In addition to raising our 2 sons, we both had stressful jobs (his as a physician-scientist). We became very good at recognizing which of us was particularly stressed and needed more support at home at any particular time. The goal was to be each other's port in the storm. Since I've been living with an "incurable, but treatable blood cancer," it is clear that he meant every word of his wedding vows from 42 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so important not to lose yourself in your marriage. Congratulations to 15 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such great tips! It's incredibly important to maintain your sense of identity in a marriage and not lose yourself to your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very inspiring. In my marriage, we had fundamental differences, and it was miserable for both of us. Glad to see you both are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting it is to travel and experience the world like that! As I get older, this sounds wonderful, especially sharing it with the one you love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book you mention by John Gottman - 7 principles for making marriage work - was a lifesaver for us. He has a unique take on what we need to do to succeed in a marriage. After 20 years I can honestly say that his was some of the best advice we ever got.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy for you Carol!! your fulfillment in all areas of your life if complete!!! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment