Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Every Traveler Heavily Depends on Great Transportation Infrastructure

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Every Traveler Heavily Depends on Great Transportation Infrastructure



I was born in the slums of Manila, very near the railroad tracks that once widely served the country. Now the rail operations are limited in northern Metro Manila and the Bicol Region. After the war, vintage jeepneys became a more popular transportation mode. But, since I migrated to the US, RVed the continent, and traveled the world, I have come to appreciate the transportation infrastructure that makes developed countries thrive. Travelers like us depend heavily on resources like the road network of America and the railway system of Europe. 

The Great North American Road Network

the highway to Reno. Nevada

I cannot tell you how much our eight years of RVing full-time in the US, Canada, and Mexico has made me appreciate these countries’ roads. We have traveled all forty-nine American states including Alaska, ten Canadian provinces and territories, and seven Mexican states. My book, Carolina: Cruising to an American Dream, chronicles this epic road trip. We have realized this North American road network has no equal.

Let me lift verbatim what Wikipedia says about its largest component, the US network. “The National Highway System (NHS) is a network of strategic highways within the United States, including the Interstate Highway System and other roads serving major airports, ports, rail or truck terminals, railway stations, pipeline terminals, and other strategic transport facilities. Altogether, it constitutes the largest highway system in the world.” Strategically identified after WWII and officially coined in 1995, today it constitutes about 165,000 miles of roads that are crucial to the country’s economy, defense, and mobility. Wikipedia says it carries 90% of tourist traffic in the country.

Trans-Canada Highway

This is complemented in the North by the Trans-Canada Highway (French: Route Transcanadienne), a transcontinental federal-provincial highway system that travels through all ten provinces of Canada from the Pacific Ocean on the west to the Atlantic on the east. The main route spans 4,860 miles across the country, one of the longest routes of its type in the world. This is complemented by the 1,390-mile Alaska Highway that connects the US mainland to Alaska.  

Mexico 15D


our RV on the road
And, in the south, the roadway network in Mexico also does not disappoint, especially with the recent completion of parts of the concretization of Hwy 15 that connects the Mexican mainland to Arizona. The Mexican road network has  72,577 paved miles, making it the largest paved network in Latin America. Of these, 6,508 miles are multi-lane expressways, including six-lane ones.

To add to this great North American road network, there are two other resources that make RVing the best way to cover the continent. One, the network of campgrounds, including all the different kinds (see Classifying Campgrounds in my book), also has no equal in the world. Second, the available RV models (see Different Kinds of RVs in my book) span the smallest teardrop trailers to the biggest luxury sixty-five-foot motorhomes.

But even if you do not travel North America in an RV, road trips are the best way to go from state to state or from national park to national park. Compact cars that deliver 40+mpg efficiencies and the national availability of a wide range of budgets for motel and hotel chains that deliver standard quality make American road trips a reliable way to cover the continent.

NOTE: We are beginning to find that the road network of Australia is similar to that of the US. And that includes both the RVing and road tripping resources cited.

The Reliable European Railway System

the train station in Newcastle, UK

2017 European Railway Performance Index ranked the performance of its national rail systems as follows:

Tier One: Switzerland, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Austria, Sweden, and France.

Tier Two: Great Britain, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain, the Czech Republic, Norway, Belgium, and Italy.

Tier Three: Lithuania, Slovenia, Ireland, Hungary, Latvia, Slovakia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, and Bulgaria.

everyone going to the Brussels train station

We have used all seven of the Tier One systems, six of the eight Tier Two, and three of the ten Tier Three. We especially loved our train travels through Llubijana and Bled in Slovenia, Vienna, Salzburg, and Innsbruck in Austria, Munich, Oberstaufen, and Uberlinger in Germany, St. Gallen in Switzerland, Vaduz in Lichtenstein, Paris in France, and Brussels in Belgium. We covered all of these destinations in four weeks and a half, thanks to the efficient railway system in Europe. 

at the little train station of Oberstaufen which was our hub for six trips

We tried economy and first-class trains and those that took us to small towns and big cities. They had seamless connections with buses, taxis, and Ubers. Not a single train ride was late or canceled. And we experienced no mishaps. The stations were sometimes airport-like in the big cities and in the small ones, there were quaint villages and little shops built around them as walking malls. I love train travel in Europe.

Bill loves it more. He didn't have to worry about driving and enjoyed with me the scenic views of country and city life that unfolded before us: the dwarf apple trees, the tiny garden sheds, etc. The wide windows sometimes can even be opened for a better camera shot. We always tried the bars and dining cars. I even found a great comfort food for my upset tummy at a train ride between Innsbruck and Vienna. Thus, we have decided that we'll no longer use rental cars on the narrow roads of Europe. 

metro subways complement the trains so well!

In fact, we are putting together our next discovery of Europe through trains, this time in purely Tier Two and Three systems: Spain, Portugal, Great Britain, and Ireland. And then it will be an exploration of Eastern Europe through the Czech Republic, Romania, Poland, Hungary, and Slovakia. We are confident both will be flawless enjoyable train trips, great for cruising past 70.

NOTE: The metro rail systems of the big European cities also complement so well the regional and national trains.


PREVIOUS POST
Livermore: Technology Hub, Outlet Shopping Mecca, Wine Valley, and Gateway to Farms

FOR MOBILES, click "View Web Version" at the end of the post past comments and share buttons will appear.


CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE





















CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE





















CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE

87 comments:

  1. Travelers like us depend heavily on good transportation ionfrastructure like the North American road network and the European railway syste,

    ReplyDelete
  2. great info! The traveling in Europe was fun and educational

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both road trips and train trips. I am so thankful to have the ability to use both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish that train travel in America was as easy to use as in Europe. I live in Vermont and it would take me 13 hours to get to DC by train.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree, to travel the world, we still need to use transportation. Its got to the point with me that I do a lot of road tripping (espeically with my family) as it makes life a lot easier and its cheaper. However every time I fly to USA and Canada, I am always using a car as its easier and the public transport is no where near as good as Europe (but that is because everything is closer to each other here). Can understand why people stateside use planes more to get across the country than road and trains. One day it may catch up with Europe and have high speed rail lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the US will have better rails. Cars are the best way to travel the US. And rails are best in Europe.

      Delete
  6. What's Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has aided
    me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist other customers like its
    aided me. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The road network in North America really sets it apart from other regions in a good and bad way. Road trips are incredible, but taking the train... not so much so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the bad thing about roads in America? I don't think trains will fly in the US

      Delete
  8. The road system in the U.S. certainly makes it easy to get around. Whether it is fast transit on the interstates or meandering trips along smaller roads. The Trans Canada Highway in Canada works because so much of our country is located along the southern borders. I always feel so spoiled when we use the European trains. I often don’t rent a car because trains work so much better. We sure wish the trains in Canada and the U.S. were as available and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about the importance of transportation infrastructure. I've been fortunate to benefit from roadways and railways for travel throughout my life. I love traveling by rail in Europe and have experienced all three tiers, most recently in Poland where service was quite good, only one delayed train out of several.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I very much appreciate this post! My husband and I are considering taking a year or more to RV the US and Canada, but we don't want to do a super big RV because not all roads can handle them. I'd also love to RV Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yosemite/,Sequoia roads, for example, did not allow 24-footers like ours. But we still did it!

      Delete
  11. I would love to do a road trip through the US and Canada. It's good to know the road network is solid, the distances are so big!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have horrible train luck. It seems every trip to Europe I somehow miss a train, even though I am always 30 minutes early in anticipation of a problem. It’s still better than trying to park in those tiny parking spaces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. We had been so lucky, on the other hand!

      Delete
  13. I can understand how important the road network is when cruising the land in your RV. Network of campgrounds is also extremely important.
    When it comes to me though, I can really relate to traveling by the European railway network. And I can't decide if I like those fast trains better that take you from Paris to Nice in 3 hours or so, or the ones to cover the "local" distance between Seville and Cadiz for instance. I also adore quaint villages and little shops next to local stations.
    I'm sure your discovering Europe through trains is going to be very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right, a countries transport system really mean the difference between people seeing a place or not. I love the European train system too - living here, it is a pleasure knowing we can get places so easily!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on visiting 49 states of the US :) I agree the road network in the US is just out of this world. I also agree that both road and train network in the Europe is also too good. However I preferred driving in the US than in Europe. I also liked driving in Australia and New Zealand too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great road tripping advice, especially in North America. Agree with Bill, why drive when you can enjoy the luxury of train travel. Have fun on your European rail adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great information to have, I know different modes are transportation are easier to use depending on where you are, Thanks for these tips to use different transportation systems! xo - Kam

    ReplyDelete
  18. I needed to thank you for this great read!! I certainly enjoyed
    every bit of it. I have got you saved as a favorite to
    look at new stuff you post…

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great roads and transport are a boon for travellers. One of the things we found most challenging about doing road trips in South America was the prevalence of dirt roads. Hubby and I love road trips and have done quite a few in the U.S.A on various different visits. We have a road trip through Texas planned for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. We do at least one road trip a year. This year we have done 4!

      Delete
  20. We have done numerous Canadian and US road trips, and I could not agree more that we are so privileged to have such fantastic road systems. And after driving in foreign countries, Canada also enjoys relatively low traffic on them as well! I also love the European rail system, which we lack here in Canada, and appreciate how efficient and unique it is for us when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So true! We are dependent on a good road infrastructure. I try to travel by train in my own country as it is so much cheaper and sustainable. Where road network is absent I rely of car. Luckily where I stay in India, the road infrastructure is good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's true, reliable transportation is so helpful and makes exploring much easier! Have done many US roadtrips and European train trips.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We've definitely relied on good transportation infrastructure when we travel. It's such a pain when there aren't good ways to get from one city to another.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved your post that transportation facility makes traveling very easy. I love the places with great transportation facilities. I loved the European railway network as all places are very well connected and have good trains running all day connecting other end of Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are truly fantastic ideas in about blogging. You have touched some pleasant
    things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I shared this to my Travel Tips Pinterest board. I had my first experience with the Interstate Highway System in 1968 when we drove back and forth across the country in a '63 Chevy (that broke down every 300 miles or so). We used Interestate 80 which was still under construction, so we were back and forth between highway and 2 lane roads through little towns. It provided my first understanding of the vastness and varied terrain of the US. We've also ridden the rails in Europe which I agree is maybe the best way to travel there if you're interested in city to city travel. If you want to see the scenic byways, hiring (renting) a car is still probably the way to go although I am all about leaving the driving to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Europe's rail system takes you to a lot of scenery, too!

      Delete
  27. Transportation systems really do make all the difference when visiting someplace! Living in Europe I can also say the Europen railway system is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Since we focus on North America, that is the extent of our experience with transportation avenues. It’s easy to begin taking the highway system for granted, since it is a well designed layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our 8 years of RVing and our current years if road trips exposed us to it's vastness

      Delete
  29. It's true! I've never really thought about the how dependent I've been on great transportation infrastructure. Although when trying to do long-distance train travel in the US, I have remembered fondly how comprehensive the system was in Europe. And I'd love to do a road trip like the one you detailed!! That sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I completely agree about that amazing railway network in Europe. It is a shame the UKs trains are so expensive, but they are fantastic for getting around. I guess now you mention it the roads in Canada and the US are also incredible. I always just wish there was a bit more public transport available on this side of the pond.

    Have you ever experienced rail travel in Japan? That is the peak of efficiency. It is sooo easy and fun to travel on trains in Japan. They have fantastic food available on the trains too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another person commented that the Japan railsl system is the best!

      Delete
  31. We may have potholes that swallow buses (as seen in Pittsburgh a few days ago), but generally, our roads are adequate and they make it super easy to get from point A to point B. Driving in the US is a lot of fun. I still dream of crossing the US by car from New York City to LA.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a road trip person and have always marveled at our road and back roads. I grew up riding Amtrak on a regular basis and wish it was used as it could be. So many people toiled over making it and it is way under used.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love train travels, esp in Europe, where one can utilise rail passes based countries and regions. I've had the pleasure of using them in 14/15 countries in the top 2 tiers above and would totally recommend them despite the advent of low cost flights these days. There's just something nice about the whole experience. How I wish the railway system in SE Asia is more widely available and more efficient like those in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We prefer ground travel unless it is impossible to reach it by land or there are time constraints. Seeing scenery is do much better.

      Delete
  34. I sometimes wish we had a better train system in Canada, more akin to what they have in Europe. The road system is good, as you point out, but the distances are long, so I find train travel to be a more relaxing way to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the reason why train travel won't be as prevalent in North America...vast distances.

      Delete
  35. Since I'm not driving, I'm really an expert on public transportation. US is the most difficult, of course, however there is more public transportation than most people think.
    Anyway, lately, bus travel is becoming very popular in Europe, too - and it is often more reliable than trains.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I cannot agree more! I have done many road trips in the US and I loved every single one. I used transportation in Europe so many times and it’s great.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gosh you are so right. Not just travellers, but modern civilisation in general is so heavily reliant on transport infrastructure. As a full-time RVer in Australia, we're particularly dependent on the main highways. The country is too vast for a good railway system (and most of the old ones are no longer in use), so it's all highways for us.

    ReplyDelete
  38. America could learn a lot from the rail and bus systems operated in Europe -- they are so user-friendly here and a joy to use. We have taken our road system in the US for granted, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Public transport is practical when touring, stress free, but sometimes too busy in big cities, carrying luggage, and no seats, etc.. Car travel gives you more freedom to stop where you want and more room for family and luggage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love road trips but the best not practical in Europe so we travel light and base ourselves a week at a time.

      Delete
  40. public transport is fun but it is not convenient sometimes. But for me, as a backpacker- I enjoy public transport because it let you feel the real ambiance and culture of the place. By the way, thank you for sharing maam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am a huge fan of public transport and I love traveling by trains in Europe. Great to know that you love it and planning to explore Europe through trains only in your next trip. It isn't as great in US as in other countries. THerefore I love roadtrips more in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are so right we all travelers hugely depend on great transportation infrastructure. We usually go for road-trips but still whenever travelling far away, uses trains too. In Europe no doubt trains are best.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I do agree North America has great road systems that effectively get you where you need to go. It is fun to take road trips across the United States and stop along the road side attractions, especially when you happen along a historic Route 66 attraction. I do wish sometimes we has more public transportation similar to Europe or the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I enjoy train travel, but I am not so good nor comfortable with it yet! I enjoyed reading the post of someone who is more experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yes, our interstate highway system here in the US is quite a marvel. And, it is the brainchild of a Kansas farm boy who grew up to mastermind D-Day and become president, Dwight D. Eisenhower!

    ReplyDelete
  46. While getting from city to city in the US is often easier by plane, I have also enjoyed Amtrak where it runs efficiently -- though no where near as good as train travel in Europe. And once in a city in the U.S. ... at least the major cities ... I am able to get around by public transportation very easily.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment