Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Our Lifestyle Adventures: Celebrating Life with Bill!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Our Lifestyle Adventures: Celebrating Life with Bill!

My husband Bill celebrated his 71st birthday last week. Guess what he did? Yes, I got flowers from him! So I had to think of something extra special. I decided to whip up an uncommon breakfast, different from our traditional congee for me and cereals for him. I made huevos rancheros, sister dish to his favorite Mexican morning meal, chilaquiles!

After this, we headed to the Harkins Superstition Springs Theater to watch the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and to down some popcorn. It is the sequel to the first that we thought was better than the Grand Budapest Hotel. The sequel with a handsome Richard Gere as an addition to the aging cast is even better than the first. It is even more Bollywood!

After the theater, I took him to Fashion Square in Scottsdale to shop for his gift, a good pair of walking shoes, essential for any trip to Europe. After some walking around, he found an Ecco (his favorite brand) pair. Guess what I did? I bought a pair for myself, too! Fresh flowers plus a new pair of shoes, not a bad stash for me for celebrating Bill’s birthday!

But it was dinner that was most special. We went to the Ruth’s Chris,  an upscale steak house in the trendy neighborhood of Scottsdale, Arizona. I had steak and lobster tail with Boston lettuce BLT salad and sautéed mushrooms while Bill had a 16-oz. New York strip with asparagus and Bearnaise sauce. The desert was complimentary for the birthday celebrant! But I ordered one for myself, too! What a feast.

On Thursday, March 12 we saw a Motown Tribute Concert at the Viewpoint Ballroom. Every Thursday during February and March, there is a tribute/concert/show, attended by other vacationers in nearby resorts. So far, we have seen Abba, Barbara Streisand, Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart, Michael Buble, and Natalie Cole. Bill thoroughly enjoyed this last concert of the season.

Then, Bill had a Joint Birthday Party with Clinkie, held at her (and Cam’s) new home. Twenty-five of our neighbors and friends at Viewpoint RV and Golf Resort joined us in the afternoon of March 14, Saturday. We had baked beef lasagna, baked ravioli and beef, premium vegetable salads, fruit salad, strawberry cheesecake, red velvet cake, and chocolate and vanilla ice cream!


Finally, today we left for a month-long tour in Europe. We meet his daughter Suzanne and her family in Italy, and my granddaughters Krishna, 22, and Yeye, 18, in Spain. Last, but certainly not the least, we have another honeymoon on the French Riviera! Does life with Bill need to be celebrated? Of course! He is the distinguished old man who gave me my new leash on the last third of my life (60-90)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment