Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Turning 70: What Growing Old Means to Me

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Turning 70: What Growing Old Means to Me


in Sedona, August 2018

When I turned forty, I thought, "Oh no, soon I will be old." Now that I am turning 70, I say, "Oh no, I am NOW OLD!" It is a good thing family and friends will be with me in Indio, California at a Club Wyndham Resort to "celebrate" with me this week. In addition, I found out that the average lifespan of a female in the Philippines is 72; in America, it is 84. Since I have left my stressful life in the Philippines and migrated to the US, I may have added twelve years to my life, just like that! 

back in Manila, August 2017
But it also means that somewhere about ten years before the average lifespan, your body begins to break down. Mine started to do so at age 62, in the middle of our RVing. First, I had a two-year case of hives after the stress of Bill’s heart attack. Then, I began to have strong bouts of acid reflux and other digestive problems. I changed my eating habits, put back rice and seafood into my diet, control my portions, and exercise daily. With this change, I hope there are twenty years left in me, at least.

The main thing that changed, however, is the mellowing and the balancing of my life. It used to be that I had huge goals that I strived for. Imagine studying until you finish your Ph.D., giving birth to pioneers in information technology in the country, contributing to industry and country goals, and bringing up three children singlehandedly all at the same time.

in Seattle launch, June 2015
But now, I have simpler goals on top of everyday life: see the world and take pictures of and write about our travels. The most stressful thing I do is when I combine those hobbies with publishing and promoting a book. Playing scrabble and poker and singing karaoke and dancing in parties relieve me of stresses. I love cooking and nurturing plants, too. It is a good thing that my husband does not mind housekeeping. But my husband disagrees. He says my goals may not be as big as before but they have now become bigger than when we first met. Oh well, life cannot be boring anyway.

The relationships I keep have become simpler, too. There is my beloved husband. He and I take care of each other. Then there are our children who have all grown and do not need much from us anymore. Then there are our grandchildren who give us so much joy. Finally, there are our friends, some neighbors, some who visit us, and some whom we visit. Of course, we have people with whom we still keep in touch.

In general, therefore, I may be becoming weaker and less healthy but these are accompanied by less striving and more peace. In my book, Carolina: Cruising to an American Dream, I write about how my contact card has changed from the corporate Carol as Carolina Esguerra Carreon, President/CEO, to the more colorful Carol, Carolina Esguerra Colborn, Wanderer, Writer, Wife.

in Ensenada, Mexico, August 018

Life has come full circle. It is now as basic as when we were children. How do we then travel past 70? There are times in the past when I have flown thirty-six hours instead of eighteen, chosen cheaper lodging even if it's far from the city center, and eaten street or fast food to save travel dollars. I submit that now we will probably travel less, but more slowly, and definitely, more comfortably, even if not more stylishly.

What I write about has also changed. As much as our travels have steadily become less, from twelve to eight, to probably four months a year in the next few years, I will probably write more about lessons we have learned, insights we have gained, and AHA moments we have relished. After all, getting old also means becoming wiser, having experienced much and understanding more. As we have accumulated the years, it is good that we have collected neither debt nor enemies, and not yet many wrinkles!  

pinnable image 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment