Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Shopping to My Heart’s Content

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Shopping to My Heart’s Content


Because we had driven to Mazatlan, we packed too much. So we really didn’t need to shop for anything. But when we found out that the prices are so much cheaper than in Mesa, Arizona, our last few days became a shopping frenzy. We discovered that there are five main shopping areas: 1) the Zona Dorada all around El Cid, 2) Walmart and Gallerias Mall toward the north, 3) Soriana/Gran Plaza southeast, 4) Juarez Sunday Market further southeast, and 5) the Old Mazatlan Mercado in the Downtown area.

the market in Old Mazatlan, downtown
my US$100 stash

There were so many great value items for swimming, nice local shirts, etc. but Bill didn’t seem to notice any of them. So, after a while, I decided I didn’t have to wait for him and bought what I wanted, just like a normal woman. My final stash included: black classic slacks for US$10, four tops ranging from US$7-20, black socks for US$2, black fashion hat for US5, beaded Mexican necklace and bracelet set for US$10, one gold and one silver shawls each for US5, Aztec earrings for US$20, and two knock-off Dior reflectorized dark glasses for US$10. I got one or more from every single one of the shopping areas. I just couldn’t help myself. ! spent all of US100 for my complete makeover.

When I ran out of eyebrow liners, we drove to the Walmart/Galleria Mall. And because they were much cheaper than in the US even if they were the same brands, I finally got to buy all sorts to try which one best suits what I want to do with my brows. I did the same thing for my lipstick. I also found out that the Grey Away spray I use to hide the white in my hair so I do not have to dye as often was only US$4 when it is US$10 in the US. So I bought a nine months’ supply to last until my next trip in January 2020. We found bargains for hair dye, shampoo, body wash, and mouthwash, too. Bill finally had to stop me. He said there was no more space in the car.

Soriana, the biggest local supermarket chain

By the time we were packing to go home, we panicked because we had not bought any “pasalubongs” (arrival gifts) for friends and family at home. So we rushed to the El Cid Shopping Arcade which had a few souvenir stores. For friends, I bought 11 beaded bracelets and Bill bought El Cid golf towels and ball cap markers. I also found another reflectorized fashion dark glasses like the one I bought for myself. A granddaughter said they were sweet shades. Bill got four zip-up hoodies with Mazatlan logos and designs for each of his grandkids, too. Of course, he didn't forget the tequila!

tequila section

But the prized articles we are bringing home are two. The first is the ceramic tile painting we bought from an El Cid Hotel shop featuring the Malecon with the Valentino, the party place, as its iconic focal point. And the second and high value one is a unique photo collage of 16 Mazatlan doors mounted on two wooden door panels. We found this art piece during one of the First Friday Art Walks in the Centro Hispanico of Old Mazatlan.

our art pieces

Next year, we promised ourselves that we would not bring so much with us in the car, list what we need throughout the year, and buy them in a more organized fashion in Mazatlan. We would not only save millions, but we would also have so much fun right from the very start!

pottery and ceramics by the roadside

PS On the drive home, there were roadside shacks that attractively displayed tons of pottery and ceramic works.  Of course, I begged Bill to stop at one. I bargained myself into a clay pot and mortar and pestle to display on my kitchen counters.

FOR THOSE ON MOBILES WHO WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THIS, buttons appear after you click "View Web Version" at the bottom of the post past the comments.













58 comments:

  1. As you know by now, we really enjoyed our 3 months in Mazatlan, and Carol had lots of shopping fun in the last days there this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to find so much at great prices. So much for just $100. I am sure your friends will love the beaded bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo collage of 16 Mazatlan doors mounted on two wooden door panels has given me a great idea for my home. I have something i can turn into a similar art piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my attention Carol. In recent times I’ve been hearing so much about Mexico. Now your telling me about the fantastic shopping deals in Mazatlan. You’ve sold me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It us a great place to relax and shop and see and eat and do...at such affordable prices.

      Delete
  5. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just
    extremely great. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible.

    I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a great
    website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your detailed description of your souvenir buying. Sounds like you got a bundle of bargains. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to shop especially when the prices are so fantastic!! Thank you so much for sharing this information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finds Carolina! I love the beaded necklace. I am missing shopping in Mexico after spending 6 months there this winter, I miss it so much so thanks for bringing me back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to do your souvenir shopping. And lots of shopping really. Lots of bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's funny that you realized about the great deals before leaving. Nevertheless, you made up for it in quite a big way :) One of the pleasures of shopping is getting the same brands you know and love at reduced prices! Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Better late than never. Those were the best buys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shopping is always fun, with nearly any budget, anywhere you go. But being able to save so much money over shopping at home would really be a bonus! Great finds, by the way. The thing I always try to buy in Mexico is pure vanilla which is a fraction of the cost it is inthe United States.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheap prices can be so tempting. I try not to buy very much because I’m a sucker for bargains. You really scored on the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol, I can sure relate to this post. I, too, love to shop when I travel and it looks like you got some great deals in Mazatlan. Just one of the reasons I love Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more
    on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a
    little bit further. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will write more about shopping once I experience another spree!

      Delete
  17. I love all the wonderful colorful clothes you added to your wardrobe! The best though was the really special art that you will always remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's now hanging on our home walk, enjoying it immensely!

      Delete
  18. you're in reality a good webmaster. The web site loading velocity is incredible.

    It seems that you're doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork.
    you've done a excellent task on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have brought wonderful stuff in 100$. Actually you should bring very less stuff next year and go back with a complete make over. I too would have reacted the same way you did looking at the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's our plan as of now do we can bring home more stuff!

      Delete
  20. You have brought wonderful stuff in 100$. Actually you should bring very less stuff next year and go back with a complete make over. I too would have reacted the same way you did looking at the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have brought wonderful stuff in 100$. Actually you should bring very less stuff next year and go back with a complete make over. I too would have reacted the same way you did looking at the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have brought wonderful stuff in 100$. Actually you should bring very less stuff next year and go back with a complete make over. I too would have reacted the same way you did looking at the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have brought wonderful stuff in 100$. Actually you should bring very less stuff next year and go back with a complete make over. I too would have reacted the same way you did looking at the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have brought wonderful stuff in 100$. Actually you should bring very less stuff next year and go back with a complete make over. I too would have reacted the same way you did looking at the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this web site is really
    fastidious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always leave room for shopping when I travel. Sometimes I bring an empty suitcase. I have found quite a few interesting things in various cities in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'll do when we stop bringing the car. There's just too many bargains.

      Delete
  27. I recently made a day trip across the border in to Mexico from Texas. I didn't buy much but I loved looking at all the bargains. I remember shopping in Mazatlan many years ago. I purchased a roll-up Panama hat that I just loved. Bet you are glad you remembered those last minute souvenirs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Border town's like Los Algodones don't offer much. I shopped where licals do mostly.

      Delete
  28. Haha! Loved reading this. The same has happened to me in many different countries, except that I was flying. When I know I'm going to a destination that has gorgeous local articles for cheap, I just bring an extra suitcase. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I will do when we fly. There's just too many bargains!

      Delete
  29. Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after checking through
    some of the post I realized it's new to me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Carol, you certainly did well on the clothing. I hope you were able to bargain with them. I know they expect it in the Mercados. Bill sounds like To when I am packing the RV - no more room or over the weight limit. :)
    It's fun to buy art on trips. Glad you got some to decorate your house. Hope to see it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't like shopping myself, but I can see that Mazatlan would be a good place for anyone who does enjoy it. So many colourful things, and different to what you would find at home.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! You really went for it but can't blame you at those kind of prices. And it sounds like you had a lot of fun along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  33. How fun! I love finding good deals and getting souvenirs for family! Looks like you got some amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  34. We just loved Mazatlan not just for shopping but all the wonderful food they have there too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey there, exactly developed into mindful of your web blog by using Google, and discovered in which it’s honestly
    enlightening. My organization is gonna beware of brussels.
    I’ll get pleased for those who do this again later on. Folks is going to be taken advantage of an individual's authoring.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi there to every , because I am truly eager of
    reading this website's post to be updated daily. It consists of
    pleasant material.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm really inspired together with your writing skills as well as with the format in your
    blog. Is that this a paid subject or did you modify it your self?
    Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one these days..

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment