Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Creative Ideas for a Meaningful Self-Isolation

Friday, April 10, 2020

Creative Ideas for a Meaningful Self-Isolation

White Tank Mountain Regional Park

On January 21, it was reported that the coronavirus ravaging China had arrived in the US, in Seattle, Washington. We were on our annual three-month all-inclusive vacation at a resort in Mazatlan, Mexico. Later, I got more worried since the most vulnerable seemed to be older people, like Bill and me, especially those with compromised immune systems. This post is how we progressed from cutting short our trip, going home to self-isolation, and finding ways to cope with the situation.

Going Home

Los Arcos on the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta

On March 11, when we were on our second of a two-week visit in Puerto Vallarta, the WHO officially declared COVID-19, the coronavirus disease, a pandemic. We did not want to cut short our stay so we did social distancing. We did not join tours, visited landmarks at non-peak times, went to outdoorsy places, and tried to keep the required healthy distance from the people we found in places.

When we got back to Mazatlan on March 14, Europe had become the new epicenter and panic-buying in the US had set in. We had twelve more scheduled days in Mexico but we decided to cut short our stay and canceled/rebooked our tours to La Noria, La Concordia, and San Carlos. Then we shopped for staples, including toilet paper, at Walmart and local grocery chain Soriana.  We were driving.

the Mariposa border, a ghost town

We left Mexico when the statistics were pretty grim, the US had become a new epicenter, and the Canadian and Mexican borders had been closed to non-essential travel. It took us two days, driving eight hours each day to get home. What was surprising was it took us no time at the Mariposa Border on both the Mexico and US sides. What was scary was that there was no inspection or testing done.  

But home is the best place to do self-isolation, not on a cruise ship out at sea or a hotel room in a foreign country. Now that we have completed our 14-day period of self-isolation, it has been decided for us that we have to extend it to the end of April. I wouldn’t say it is welcome news but it’s not a problem. There are a few things we have learned to do to make it a more meaningful one.


Having a Flagship Project

Whenever a phase in my life goes south, I always turn to some project to which I can focus my energy. The last time, my first travel book, Carolina: Cruising to an American, was born. This time it’s my second travel book. I started it last October but progress had stalled. Now my first draft is near completion and I hope to be on the editing phase by the end of the month. (No, the title will not be Cruising with Coronavirus). I call it a flagship project, one that consumes my passion. Find yours!

Creating Significant Engagement Time with Others

My three daughters and their husbands are all in “work from home” modes in San Francisco, Calgary, and Melbourne. With the help of Zoom, I have been able to conduct one-hour class sessions with my grandsons, ages 4-6, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I am so happy that I can help and that I am engaged with my family. They may not be as far-flung as mine but your physical engagement is limited just the same. On Easter Sunday, we hope to celebrate via HouseParty. And we have scheduled a neighborhood party through the same app. As a matter of fact, an appeal of mine for one lemon posted on the Viewpoint Facebook Group netted 18 lemons, 13 oranges, and seven grapefruits,   Let technology bridge the gap!

on Zoom with my grandkids

Keeping the Kitchen Alive with Substitutes 

Delivery from groceries and pick-ups from pharmacies have kept us from needing to go into stores. But, particularly for groceries, the stocks available are not the same so sometimes we cannot cook with the same ingredients. Consider my Spam Fried Rice. We did not have eggs. Guess what is the substitute for them? Vegans have known all along that it is scrambled tofu. It’s a good thing I had a non-refrigerated version from a Mexican local grocery chain. Scrambled tofu looks and tastes just like scrambled eggs. Believe that there’s always a substitute! 

Cleaning with Everywhere Solutions 

The time calls for disinfectant cleanliness but the panic-buying has created out-of-stock items big time.  When we shopped in Mexico, hand sanitizers and 60+% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol bottles were nowhere to be found. But Bill found ethyl alcohol 70% so we made hand sanitizers together with aloe vera with it. He even found wipes and gloves in a medical supplies store at a hospital in Mexico. As far as face masks are concerned, Holiday Inn, our hotel on the way back home, gave us enough. Solutions are everywhere!

a gift from Holiday Inn

We had our house cleaned before our arrival. As soon as we arrived, we left our shoes outside the door and used disinfectant sprays on all commonly used surfaces to further protect us. Now we also launder linens and towels more often.  We also disinfect groceries outside before taking them in. It is good we are fully supplied with toilet paper, paper towels, and tissue paper because the shelves in Mexico were full of them, as well as other cleaning supplies like Chlorox and Lysol.

at Walmart in Mazzatlan

Keeping Ourselves Renewed

My writing assignments have increased and I am still maintaining my blog while Bill reads e-books and listens to music a lot when he is not working on our financials. As far as recreation is concerned, there are many options for entertainment available for my favorite pastime of watching movies. So, we are friends with Netflix and TV every night. As a matter of fact, we have allowed ourselves the luxury of one Redbox on Demand once a week when we imagine we are in a theater with popcorn!

at the Estrella Mountain Regional Park

But the best idea is this. We have considered our car an extension of our home. We disinfect it, too. So we have created a list of places where we can go and breathe the good fresh air and see the desert in color. Spring is the best time to be here. It's the season when the palo verde trees turn blazing yellow, poppies grow wild, and the cacti bloom. If we don’t see people on the trails, we go down and walk a little. If not, we just continue driving. The operative principle is to distance ourselves from others, but not from nature.  We are grateful that Arizona has not closed its state parks.

We have canceled our trips in April but are still holding on to our bookings from July to September. Even if they all fall through, we will not be bothered. Self-isolation is a meaningful activity not only because it helps flatten the curve for our community and the world but because it gives us meaning for our own lives. Besides, it may be a significant inflection point for a new normal of how we live.

PREVIOUS POST
5 Day Trips You Ought to Do in Puerto Vallarta

CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE























CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE                                   







43 comments:

  1. Here are 5 Ideas: having a flagship project, creating significant engagement with others, keeping the kitchen alive, cleaning with everywhere solutions, and keeping ourselves renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were sad to cut our trip short, but was a smart choice. We enjoyed our time and stocked up things to bring home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really neat. My husband always works from home and I work in a hospital so I go out to work as usual, in fact, I work longer hours now. But... in lieu of not being able to travel and go out, I started getting into pottery and soap making... at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do you are not in self-isolation-. It's a wonder you can have time to go pottery at home. Thanks for your rotk at the Frontlines!

      Delete
  4. Good to see you've taken the virus seriously while maintaining a positive attitude and making the most of self-isolation! It's easy to complain about travel plans being changed, but staying home really is for the greater good. I have family in various countries as well and scheduling Houseparty definitely helps keep morale up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome post on how to handle time at home. We also made the decision to come back home to Spain from Italy when it all really went sour. Good luck with your flagship book. Mine is resurrecting my podcast. Stay safe guys. :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the flagship project idea. That book I've been meaning to do has been waiting too long. That and taking long walks around the neighborhood. Living in a city is limiting that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, I have completed my first draft!!! Just have to write Conclusion.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you are keeping busy. We too had to cancel an April trip, but are holding out hope for trips in September and December!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are weathering this pandemic well. Good luck with that new book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol I love how you always find the silver lining in everything. I'm glad to see you didn't just hunker down and get into a bad mental place - you really are thriving and making the best of a scary situation! Hope you stay safe and healthy - and I'm looking forward to your next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. There truly us a silver lining in every situation!

      Delete
  10. Carol, we know this is a difficult time for everyone and it is hitting the travel industry especially hard. Learning to self-quarantine is something that most humans are unfamiliar with. The increase in social media has helped spread the "me too" rage where everyone feels like they are being left out, if they are not completely immersed in life. Maybe we all just need a little pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel left out. That is precisely why I wrote these tips of not being left out.

      Delete
  11. I love your idea of having a flagship project. I suppose using my time to update my website as I prepare for a rebrand is mine, and placing a name to that task suddenly gives it more meaning. Thanks for all your tips, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you guys were able to stock up on essential items in Mexico before you came back. They are still so difficult to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We we're lucky in that regard. But we felt scared not being at home when he'll broke loose.

      Delete
  13. Some great ideas here. We also have a 'movie day' here and there with butter popcorn and everything. It's a nice 'outing replacement!'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, hopefully we can all travel soon again but there's definitely a sliver lining and it's great you are making the best out of the situation (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a great post and I really resonated with the Flagship Project idea. I have also been looking for valuable ways to spend my time during lockdown and I've been working on my blog and trying new recipes. I think it's important to at least try and make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, I especially resonated with the idea of having a flagship project to work on. I have been using the lockdown time to improve my blog and my cooking recipes. It's important to try and make the most of it, I feel :) - Giulia/The Weekly 24

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wat a bummer about your holiday, but glad to hear you got back home safe and sound. And great you were able to turn these weird times into something positive by finding the time and headspace to work on your book, congrats! All the best to you and your family, stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad that you are able to keep in touch with your grandchildren. Keeping yourself busy is the key during isolation, so keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So great to hear that you are keeping in touch with family via virtual meetings and being able to help your grandchildren!

    I have really been enjoying family quiz nights over the last couple of weeks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry you had to cut your trip short, but good on you for taking the right steps immediately! Good luck on your new book - hope to see it soon :) I'm hoping to take your advice and work on my blog as my flagship project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so sorry that you had to cut your trip short. I was wondering if you'd hunker down in mexico or do the long drive home to self isolate in your own home. I am very glad to hear you are both doing okay. Enjoy those movies on netflix and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know you were following! Thanks for all the good wishes!

      Delete
  22. I was in self isolation in hills before this pandemic started. I was following these tips so I can vouch that it works.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment