Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: On the Way Back Home: Calgary, Alberta to Phoenix, Arizona

Friday, October 8, 2021

On the Way Back Home: Calgary, Alberta to Phoenix, Arizona

 


It took us three days and two nights to drive home to Phoenix from Calgary. Usually, this is pretty straightforward, driving eight hours a day and resting well at night but this time, it was as if we had not had enough sightseeing despite six weeks of road trips. We kept stopping at landmarks we chanced upon before ending each day. The result is that we added two more national monuments to our list, revisited one city and discovered another, came across an outstanding private landmark that only cost me the purchase of a Native American souvenir, and took photos of lots of interesting passing scenes.

Dillon, Montana

We first stopped at Dillon on the way up from Boise, Idaho to Essex, Montana to visit friends (please see my previous post). On the way back home from the border crossing at Sweetgrass, Montana, we spent the night here to have dinner at the “other” recommended restaurant, Max Clast, the watering hole of the younger generation; we’d gone to the older folks’ favorite the last time. And we were pleasantly surprised to find the Visitor Center in front of the restaurant with a quaint Gazebo Park beside it and a Museum with a pioneer wagon outside.  

Cedar Breaks National Monument


We spent the next night at Cedar City in Utah. And since we’d started the day early, leaving Dillon at 7 am, we got there at 4 pm. When I noticed a sign for Cedar Breaks National Monument, I googled how long it would take to get there. It would just be 30 minutes so we decided to make a quick visit. And we were rewarded by finding a hidden gem up in the mountains, smaller than Bryce Canyon National Park but the hoodoos were bigger! We made it to the Visitor Center in time to buy some souvenir ball caps and to visit and photograph Sunset View and Chessmen Ridge Overlooks. It was so pretty that we promised to return to the other three overlooks, two of which you have to hike to.

Cedar City


Before dinner we still had time to go around Cedar City, taking pictures of a few points of interest: the Shakespeare Theater, the Festival Grounds, and the Mormon Church on a hillside. We then noticed that the Cedar Breaks Lodge and Spa, located between the city and the national monument, is the main lodging option. I knew it was included in our timeshare directory; as a result, we have booked it for July 2-9 next year for a family reunion and a more immersive visit.

A Private Landmark

The next day was the final trek home. We also had an early start leaving Cedar City at 7 am, and found that a road going to the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park, the only one I had not explored, was some way ahead. However, I also found out that it would take us about an hour to drive there, which meant it would add two hours of drive time and at least an hour of visit time to our itinerary. We decided it would be too taxing to really enjoy one of the best sections of one of the best national parks in the country. We will have to make it a separate trip.


Opting out of this chance, we continued to drive I-15 south. Soon we came upon a fantastic sight: three Native American souvenir vendors grouped around sweeping red rocks, including an iconic “ice cream” rock in front and a rebuilt Native American dwelling to one side. The vendors were gracious enough to take our photos, so I selected one of their souvenirs for the display shelves in our living room. And we learned that this landmark is privately owned by a civic-minded lady. What a find!

Vermillion Cliffs National Monument


Soon, still on I-15, we began to see more sweeping red rock cliff sides. And they continued for quite some time; I could not put my camera down. Then we noticed a small sign that said Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, with an arrow pointing to them. That was it! We were seeing the western boundary of another national monument! It was quite a sight. I can just imagine what more awesome sights there would be if we went inside, but we didn’t see any roads in. We made a note to schedule a real visit. On the other side of the interstate, there were horses grazing and just traipsing around. I wonderedwere they part of the wild herd being rounded up?

Passing Scenes



It then occurred to us that we had been driving only on I-15 since leaving the Canadian border. And there were tons of varied photographable scenes along the way. I include some of them here. It was definitely not a straightforward way back home this time. It was still an exploration, although a speedy one. From now on, we will carefully choose what roads we take on our trips. I-15 is certainly one we can recommend.


FOR THOSE ON MOBILE, SHARE BUTTONS APPEAR WHEN YOU CLICK WEB VERSION AT THE VERY END AFTER COMMENTS.

PREVIOUS POST 





30 comments:

  1. We didn't take our usual straightforward drive home! We stopped and discovered so many good spots along I-15!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really good trip with some new stops along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that feeling of adding new places to stop on a road trip even after you have been away for awhile. But you sure found some great spots to visit. The Vermillion Cliffs have been on our list for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this is such a stunning journey to make. I hope to road trip from Vancouver to San Diego once things in the world calm down. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utah is surely on my list of places to visit. The national parks are so breath takingly beautiful. I do hope to get there someday. Cedar Breaks National Monument looks so pretty, I am surely visiting that. The road trip from Alberta to Arizona looks so nice and there are so many things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - those views are amazing! The more I see of Utah, the higher it moves up on my bucket list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cedar Breaks National Monument looks stunning. I will make sure to stop here next time we drive through the area. This is what I like about road trip. We can stop whenever or wherever we want to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful route to take, showcasing such natural beauty found in this region. I'm not sure I would have resisted the temptation to stop off at the Grand Canyon National Park, but reading about the Cedar Breaks sounded really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dream has been to go out west on a road trip with family. The scenery on the routes and hikes looks beautiful from your photos. We are a very active family and this would be perfect for us. Hoping to plan the trip for this summer so fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As soon as my husband retires ( this time next year) we plan to do a road trip to this part of the US. I can't wait to see hoodoos and other stunning rock formations and canyons. You've given us lots of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These formations are just amazing. This area actually makes me want to visit the US again - something I did not plan. Nevertheless, right now, I'm immediately thinking Gabby Petito when I see these wonderful sceneries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought about driving from Phoenix to Calgary but this looks like a cool find along the way. Can You hike the monument area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. As a matter of fact, two of the viewpoints can only be reached by hiking!

      Delete
  13. You passed so many breathtaking views on your way home. I can't blame you for stopping. Loved the ice cream rock. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky. And I guess I was alert instead of napping!

      Delete
  14. We love taking alternate routes when traveling common paths. It’s amazing what you can discover, just as you have shown us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was on a road trip as a kid from Michigan to Calgary and I would love to go back now that I am a writer. Also I want to take in the National Parks in Utah! The look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a long drive from Calgary, Alberta to Phoenix, Arizona. It's great that you had some nice and exiting stops. I would like to visit Cedar Breaks National Monument, as I heard about it, but haven't been there yet. It's seems to be perfect place for stretches legs and short hikes during drive.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment