Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Seeing Thriving Wildlife in Estuaries and Sanctuaries

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Seeing Thriving Wildlife in Estuaries and Sanctuaries


Mazatlan boasts of 80 kilometers of coastline and seven islands that dot its scenic bay. It is thus home to a lot of interesting aquatic activities. We had opportunities to go on day trips to the Turtle Sanctuary, to do a Sunset Bay cruise, and to frolic at one of the islands. The fun touristy activities were plenty but it was seeing the thriving wildlife that was most heartwarming.

Catamaran on a Sunset Bay Cruise

The Sea Turtle Sanctuary

I was already getting sad. Somebody told me that the turtles come to Mazatlan during the months of July to November on their annual migratory patterns. We were given this free Pronatour turtle sanctuary tour as Elite members and we had come during the wrong month! Then I heard that a few stragglers wander to Mazatlan’s shores during the odd months and the tour was available once a week!

El Verde Camacho

So, one Friday, together with about nine other adults and three children, we went on a day trip to El Verde Camacho, the marine turtle station just outside of Mazatlán where researchers have been monitoring and collecting data on the sea turtle nesting and stranding activity for almost 40 years. The tour includes round trip transportation from the hotel in an air-conditioned van and lunch.

turtle release ceremony

Imagine my delight when, after lunch, the tour included a ceremony when each one of us was given a 6-hour old sea turtle to release back to sea. The station collects the eggs and enables a higher percentage of them to hatch in incubators instead of being left alone on their natural sand habitats to be savagely preyed upon. I named my baby Memo, short for Guillermo which is Mexican for William in honor of Bill.

An Estuary by the Beach

beneath the mangroves at the estuary

The day trip also included a special boat trip through the Estuary beside the station. Immediately, we saw baby crocs hiding amongst the leaves and tiny hermit crabs scurrying around our boat when it was being launched. We rode through and under thick white and red mangrove trees piled onto the murky waters inhabited by lots of fish. As a result, there were many large birds flying all around.

a bird up close

I loved all the swooping and swishing of the wildlife from under and above the water. I also cherished all the opportunities I got for photographing the birds in a wonderful ecology so bountiful for them to thrive. I never had seen them fly so close to me before. It was a great side trip of the tour.

Some Rock Sanctuaries

Mexican icebergs, the bird sanctuaries

On our Sunset Bay Cruise, before the sun actually set, our huge party catamaran took us to the rock islands that are called Mexican icebergs. They jut out of the blue waters like their Arctic counterparts but their white color does not come from ice. They are bird poop. These rocks are great bird sanctuaries, along with Bird Island. 

the sea lions' rock sanctuary

Near the two is a different kind of sanctuary. It is a small rock, home to more than a dozen sea lions, happily frolicking between the rock and the waters around them. Some of us on the catamaran imitated their unique grunts, hoping to strike an animated conversation, before taking off for our sunset gazing time

An Island Sanctuary


Deer Island is the other island where the animals called men, women, and pets get their own frolic time. I feel compelled to include this day trip as an example of seeing another kind of thriving life. This island is a nearby refuge from the busy city which we just left behind for half a day. They are so near each other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO PIN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING IMAGES: 
Share buttons appear automatically to the right on laptops. On mobiles, please scroll to the bottom of the post, past the comments. Click "view web version." Share buttons appear on the bottom. Click the last button for more options, then the Pinterest Share button. Select the image you want to pin. Thanks for pinning this post!



73 comments:

  1. What a fun experience to see the wildlife and nature and also participate in this program, it looks fantastic and people friendly lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's remarkable to visit this website and reading the
    views of all mates regarding this paragraph, while
    I am also eager of getting familiarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the sweetest thing EVER! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to release a tiny, baby sea turtle into the wild like that. And name him! So precious and I know you totally enjoyed that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a lot of coastline! Beautiful coastline too. I'd love to explore all of those islands, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby turtle releasing ceremony is so cool ! And I wish for the best for baby Memo ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe this site needs a lot more attention.
    I'll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got to release a baby turtle back into the sea on your visit. The trip through the mangroves sounds interesting. Although I would not want to be near crocs - baby or not. So fun to see sea lions on your sunset cruise. A good mix of wildlife in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blog frequently and I genuinely appreciate your content. This great article has truly peaked my interest.
    I'm going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information about once a
    week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to visit a turtle sanctuary. It must have been a very special moment to release a baby turtle to the sea, and a nice surprise after learning that it wasn't the right season. I'd like to go during hatching season for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The turtle releasing ceremony sounds adorable! I've always wanted to see baby turtles. Quite a few years ago, in Oman, we went to a turtle sanctuary. We woke up super early to go on a tour to the beach and see the baby turtles, but they were nowhere to be found. Glad you got to see some on the off season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were reached after being laid and then incubated. You have to go to a sanctuary.

      Delete
  11. Being able to help the turtles in any way is so wonderful. Being able to release little 'Memo' into the ocean - what a gift! Getting an extra trip to the estuary is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little turtle pin. SO cute. We are huge sea turtle fans. We saw hatcheries in Sri Lanka and live births in Fort Lauderdale. The live births were better. No matter what, that moment a baby turtle enters the water is pure magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live births! How awesome is that? I want to see that!!!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful experience, Carol! Good to know that there are still a lot of places where wildlife thrives! :) Releasing baby turtles sounds awesome! I’d love to try that soon too. So cool that you were able to try that despite being there on the wrong month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's going to be end of mine day, except before ending I am reading this great article
    to increase my know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this kind of animal sanctuaries. To be able to see these animals is such a privilege. And so cool you were able to set free a little turtle! I bet baby Memo will be forever thankful. How cool it would be to be back at that beach the same year Memo comes back to lay new eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ThAt is indeed a very cool thing to happen,! Hope it does!

      Delete
  16. It sounds like you are just loving being in Mexico for the winter. I would absolutely love to spend some time with baby sea turtles and release them into the water. What a great thing the sanctuary is doing for them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoy this kind of travel. I always search out animal and bird sanctuaries in destinations that I visit as it helps connect me with the local ecosystems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same. This was a highlight of our Mexican vacation.

      Delete
  18. This looks like the kind of nature adventure that we would adore. We didn't get the chance do to that when we were in Mazatlan I think we might need another visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other such sanctuaries in the world. Be sure to visit one even if u don't go have here.

      Delete
  19. I'm also finding that I greatly enjoy chances to commune with nature on our travels. You got some great animal photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks .There were great opportunities for taking good photos.

      Delete
  20. I so love seeing the variety of nature across the world and turtles are amazing the way they travel so far on their migrations and then come back as a young adult to the beach that they were born on to lay their eggs -
    What a privilege to be able to release Memo on his journey into life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was the highlight of our aquatic activities in Mazatlan this year!

      Delete
  21. I so love seeing the variety of nature across the world and turtles are amazing the way they travel so far on their migrations and then come back as a young adult to the beach that they were born on to lay their eggs -
    What a privilege to be able to release Memo on his journey into life :)
    Linda of Journey Jottings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great privilege. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  22. I did not know there was a sea turtle sanctuary in Mazatlan. Its great to see people helping with the wildlife there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it either.vit was heartwarming to see them all.

      Delete
  23. What an amazing opportunity at the estuaries. The entire area looks like a photographers paradise. It must have been extra special to release a recently hatched turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would love to participate in a sea turtle release. Love your photo of the line of people doing just that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely beautiful part of the country and am very impressed with the sea turtle sanctuary. So important that they're protecting the mangroves.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful variety of wildlife you saw on your trip. It must have been so exciting to release your baby turtle into the water!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like sea turtles so this is awesome. Also love finding out about these sanctuaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly awesome for me to see all these, highlighted by the baby sea turtle.

      Delete
  28. I had a baby turtle hatching experience in Tulum, Mexico, and it was amazing. How fun that you got to release one in Mazatlan! Estuary tours are also fun, there’s so much nature to appreciate in our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always thrilled you see them in the wild, not in captivity.

      Delete
  29. It must've been such a beautiful experience getting to release those baby turtles back into the sea! That's awesome that there's so much wildlife interaction opportunities in Mazatlan. Deer Island sounds beautiful too. Would for sure love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How fun you got to experience a sea turtle sanctuary and also to be able to release one (love the name you chose) yourself. A competely different experience from watching the wildlife on Deer Island I imagine. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker
    who has been conducting a little research on this. And he actually
    bought me dinner because I stumbled upon it for him... lol.
    So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about this issue here on your web site.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This must have been such a cool thing to experience first-hand! I love it when traveling involves discovering the local wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very good blog post. I absolutely appreciate this site.

    Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pinned for reference. You had me at turtle sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's always a joy to read about your adventures in Mazatlan, Carol! These all look like such fun experiences, especially the turtles! The rock island bird sanctuaries also look like an interesting place to see. It must be really nice to see all these attractions and really become an expert on this beautiful city :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, this article is nice, my younger sister is analyzing these
    kinds of things, so I am going to convey her.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I see something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to
    favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good - I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your web site.
    I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related
    info ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped
    for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website
    theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate.

    Excellent task.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Those seals remind me of San Francisco, California! I hope to visit the Galapagos one day.

    ReplyDelete
  40. As I website possessor I believe the content matter here
    is rattling wonderful , appreciate it for your hard work.
    You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello There. I found your weblog the use of msn. This is
    an extremely smartly written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it
    and come back to learn more of your helpful info.
    Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great article, just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  43. We stumbled over here by a different web page and thought I should check things out.

    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to exploring
    your web page repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your
    magnificent post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment