Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: When You Have Three Home Countries, You Are Truly Blessed

Thursday, March 14, 2019

When You Have Three Home Countries, You Are Truly Blessed



Catedral de Mazatlan
In a little over two weeks, we will complete our three months in Mazatlan, Mexico. Last week, I shared with you the 2019 Mazatlan Carnaval which I thought best exemplified Mexican culture. This week, I would like to tell you about why I keep on returning to the notion of Mexico having become my third home

The Philippines is where I was born and lived for 54 years. It's my first home. The USA is where I have lived for the past 16 years after I retired. It's my second. And starting this year, Mexico is where we will stay for three months each year. It has become my third. It was Bill's decision to spend this much time here but now there are many reasons why it really feels like home to me, too.


Mexico and the Philippines share major parallels in history. Although we started with very different indigenous cultures, we both were ruled by Spain for centuries, Mexico for 300 and the Philippines for 377, both starting in 1521 at the height of the global Spanish empire. Thus, Spanish influence is heavy in both cultures. It is why we have the following  similarities in our cultures:

       First, 90 % of both countries are Roman Catholic, although Mexico is bigger by 20 million people with 130 million in population. Therefore, one of the obvious comforts for me is that we do not have a hard time finding churches to hear mass on Sundays around El Cid Resorts where we stay. There are two only a kilometer (ten minutes walk) away in each direction.
    
Mexican dishes that are also Filipino
     Second, Mexico may be the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world. But many Tagalog words are the same as their counterparts in Spanish: silya for silla (chair), sapatos for zapatos (shoes), deretso for derecho (straight), kamiseta for camiseta (shirt), banyo for bano (bathroom), for example. This resulted in the relative ease with which I  can carry on a smattering of conversations here even without learning it formally. And, as you know, I am learning the language in free El Cid classes. I can't wait for the time when I can speak it fluently. I've had progress.

Third (and what I am thrilled about), we share so many dishes. I thought it was just tacos and fajitas and burritos and enchiladas. I delighted in finding a lot of my favorites in buffets and a la carte menus. One of those is chicharrones (crispy pork rind) especially since they are almost discarded after the pork meat is shredded for the tacos de puerco. The pork thighs and legs are first roasted, much like how the Filipino lechon is cooked. Don Ignacio chicken could easily be mistaken for chicken inasal. Sopa de mariscos is actually a version of sinigang na hipon or isda. I love to eat my pescado frito or pritong isda with a plate of fried garlic rice and sliced tomatoes. Even their grilled mahi-mahi, pescado zarandeando is similar to our inihaw na bangus. Finally, for dessert, I always have the option of flan (just like our leche flan), candied camote or plantain banana, or the tropical fruits I have so missed for desserts. Jicamas (singkamas in Manila) have been mainstays in my salads, too. The only part of Filipino cuisine we do not share with Mexico is that which comes from our Chinese heritage. So I miss pancit and the various forms of lumpia. 


Feliz Ano Nuevo

     Fourth, even music is shared due to our common Spanish origins. I loved singing Cucurucucu Paloma when I found Lola Beltran’s Museo in El Rosario, an hour south of Mazatlan. And I always sing or hum to La Bamba, Besame Mucho, Sabor a Mi, or Cuando Caliente El Sol whenever they are aired through the piped-in music of the 9 El Cid restaurants.
        
Dia de Los Muertos
         

Fifth, festivals and traditions are very much alike: Navidad (Pasko), Dia de Los Muertos (All Souls Day), and Dia de Los Santos (All Saints Day), for example. This year we had a Feliz Ano Nuevo party at La Concha just two days after our arrival, complete with fireworks and round fruits. Then on Feb. 14, we had a party called Dia del Amor y la Amistad (Day of Love and Friendship). Filipinos celebrate these festivals with the same pomp and traditions.

Feliz Dia del Amor y La Amistad


pinnable image
Sixth, both Mexicans and Filipinos are warm, expressive, and hospitable. Whenever Mexicans are complimented, I tell people they should also go to the Philippines and they will experience the same level of helpfulness and hospitality. We have many new friends not just from the guests from Canada and America like us, but from the staff of El Cid. We have even been invited to their family parties. 

Lastly, our climates are so alike: sunny, warm, and humid. And our sunsets are gloriously the same.

After the periods of Spanish rule, both of our histories became intertwined with the USA. The Mexicans were defeated by the Americans in the Mexican-American War and Mexico ceded half of its territory to become the southwestern USA. The Americans also defeated the Spanish in the Spanish-American War shortly after that and the Philippines was ceded to the USA in 1898. This began the 50-year rule of America over my native land until our independence was granted in 1946. But we could say that, during this period, the Philippines developed like its new territory, the southwestern USA. 


pinnable image
pinnable image
It is not by chance that we have also chosen to live in southwestern USA, Arizona in particular, as our primary home for the major part of the year. Filipinos, Arizonians, and Mexicans are truly brothers in history and culture. It's good that I do not have to travel the 24-hour flight to Manila to be “home.” Now in my 70s, it has become more difficult to do this. I will still visit the Philippines once every three to five years. Today, I can just take the 2 or 3-hour flight to somewhere in Mexico and I am also "home!" 




48 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this post, Carol, and how you paralleled Mexico’s similarity to the Philippines. I, too, love Mexico, and you’ve now made me realize how much I would love the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comment!!! That wawms my heart Thanks lots for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. I fell in love with Central Mexico and can easily seemyself living there one day. I never thought about the parallels between Mexico and the Phillipines before but now I can totally see the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to be able to call 3 countries your home ! I wish I can do that some day too ! Love how compare Mexican and Philippines food ! I too love food with Chinese influence, given my upbringing =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss those Chinese inspired food. They will surely be the first ones I will cook when we get home!

      Delete
  4. You are truly blessed to have 3 home countries, Carol! Flights from and to the Philippines can be pretty expensive, so its good to know that you have another country to visit that has so many similarities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that they are expensive. My old body can no longer take the long haul flights!

      Delete
  5. Like you I had the opportunity to have different homes in my lifetime as well!! The Philippines, South America and Israel, in the coming months I wish to be in Mexico as well. I love their culture!! And language! feels like home but totally different. I hope to see you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not been to the Philippines and found this look at similarities between Mexico and the Philippines interesting. I am also not very familiar with Philippine food, but in recent years more Filipino restaurants have opened in my home city of Winnipeg. I'm even more eager now after reading your article to get to one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that it piqued your interest about the Philippines especially since Winnipeg has a sizeable population if my country men.

      Delete
  7. It's fascinating how countries so far away from each other have such commonalities of culture due to shared influences. I loved reading this post, and how you drew the similarities between your different "home" countries. You are so lucky to have three beautiful places to call home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many thanks for all your positive feedback! I feel like writing mire!

      Delete
  8. I've heard a few people say recently that Mexico reminded them of parts of the Philippines. I love that you've chosen to live in Mexico, even if for 'just' three months of the year. It's refreshing when compared to what you usually see about Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many here who feel like us although, in the more recent years, more Canadians than Americans.

      Delete
  9. Mexico and Philippines really share a lot of historical ties. It wouldn't be really hard for a Filipina like you to adjust from food, traditions and even finding churches. Really nice to learn of persons like you in 70's living the dream of (constant) travelling :)

    Commenting on behalf of Christopher Rudder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback. Are you Filipina, too?

      Delete
  10. I knew a few of these points, but never knew the music was shared so closely! But who could say no to the great food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the right reasons! My 3 months is ending soon and I am happy with the whole stay. VaCan wait fir next year!

      Delete
  11. Very descriptive blog, I liked that a lot. Will there be
    a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great to hear that Mexico and the Philippines share so many similarities. The food and the language really helps to make it feel like home. I hope to find a third home someday. For now, I only have two :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article and with so many parallels between the two countries. Having visited the Philippines, I can see many of the similarities you are talking about. In the end, what's important is that you feel "at home."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True and now there are 3 countries where I feel like it's hone. And do I feel blessed!

      Delete
  14. It indeed is wonderful to read the parallels you have drawn between Mexican and Fillipino culture, historical past, cuisines and more. Glad that you have found your third home and hope you also get to taste the Chinese dishes that you have been missing while in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I thought I was lucky to have two home countries - USA and NZ but to have three is so great. SO many parallels in cultures which is great. And two of them have amazing food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we are already in our 70s so we gifted ourselves. You will get there!

      Delete
  16. Great post. I was checking constantly this blog
    and I am impressed! Very helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such information a lot.
    I was looking for this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did not realise that there were so many similarities between Phillipines and Mexico. Gives me a different perspective now to appreciate the two cukture, especially the food.nice reading about it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found this interesting. Thanks fir dropping by!

      Delete
  18. How wonderful to have three different countries that you can feel at home in! I agree that it must be much easier when you have cultural aspects in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess thus us part if growing as a person and becoming a citizen if the world. It us very exciting when I find similarities. Hope to find more!

      Delete
  19. I have never been to Mexico and all of your posts make me want to visit soon! Love how you pour your heart out in these posts. Having three countries making you feel like home is a blessing for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such nice comments. You will not be disappointed in Mexico!

      Delete
  20. Carol, much like you, I have a deep love for chicharrones. Here in Kansas City, we have a large population of Mexican migrants who have brought their delicious flavors with them. I have to admit that we are kind of jealous of your 3 home country experience, but love following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are as old as us, you have yo lumitlthd places you go. Love youradventures, too. Makesme rember all the hopping around we did in our RV across North America.

      Delete
  21. That's amazing Carol, how lucky you are to call these countries home! They are all quite different and yet also connected in many ways too through shared history, language and cultures which is quite interesting! We've not quite got place we call home on the same level yet but we've got the UK where we're born, Melbourne where we plan to move to (and will be heading back to for 6 months soon) and Turkey where we have family and friends so it feels like home in many ways too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will find that your "homes" increase as you travel more (we are already in our 70s!) You are on the way to having 3!

      Delete
  22. We too love our travels through Mexico. So great for you that there are such similarities in language and especially in foods with your native Philippines. Now I'm hungry for some authentic Mexican food!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never really thought about the similarities between the Philippines and Mexico even though I have been to both countries. Mexico is a great place and I can see you are loving your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are enjoying it tremendously. How about the Philippines? Did you also enjoy there?

      Delete
  24. I enjoyed your blog, the place and the food looks nice. Cheers for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a nice comparison. I have not visited either country yet, but am intrigued by their similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't realize Mexico was the largest Spanish speaking country in the world. Maybe in terms of population, yes. Argentina is much larger geographically.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment