Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Do You Want to Know the Secret to My Traveler's Soul?

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Do You Want to Know the Secret to My Traveler's Soul?



my mother, Dr. Sergia G. Esguerra
No, it’s not chicken soup. although chicken has something to do with it. It’s something from my childhood but it's not magic either.

Family and friends can’t understand why I still am constantly on the go. Last year, as I turned seventy, we spent three weeks in Cozumel, four weeks in Europe, one week in Sedona, one week cruising LA and the Baja, one week in San Francisco, and three weeks in Vegas for a total of thirteen weeks or 25% of the year. This year it’s even worse. We have just completed thirteen weeks in Mazatlan, am on a two-week road trip to Colorado, will do a six-week trip of eight states and provinces, and a two-week trip to Kansas This is nearly half of the year at 45%.

What pushes me to keep going? I retired from a job that had me going to various countries to gain knowledge about how they did pioneering IT applications so I could apply them locally. Earlier, the companies I joined also sent me to various countries to train me. I was thrilled to get such awesome trips for free. But I suspect that what pushes me started much earlier on when I was young. And when I retired, something powerful was unleashed. When I was no longer confined to trips defined by my jobs, my exploration of the world became unhinged. I began to go all over the place.
corporate Carol
So I searched deep into my youth. I believe that one of the factors was witnessing my mother’s journeys across the globe. She was sent everywhere, starting from winning the Philippine government’s scholarship to the US to study how the deaf receives education and how they are taught how to speak. Sounds familiar, huh? But no, it wasn’t only that. During her year-long scholarship, she would write us letters about her experiences. One of the most defining moments was when she enclosed dry gold, yellow, orange and red maple leaves that had fallen from trees during autumn. I thought, “Whoa! I wonder if she can send us snow!” 
But I thought there must be something more because this passion is unbelievable, unfathomable, and unstoppable. True enough, I remember what really did it. My mother always insisted that I eat chicken wings. And she served them to me often. She believed, as many in the Philippines during her time, that this simple act would give anyone the “wings” with which to “fly” the world. I remember eating a ton of them as adobo, nilaga, tinola, afritada, steak, curry, inasal, arroz caldo, and, of course, fried. I love anything made from chicken wings! Thanks, Mommy!

chicken wings
Then I developed an intense liking for chicken feet. Ever since I can remember, when I got introduced to the Chinese dim sum in Manila (the Philippines is also greatly influenced by the Chinese who settled it in droves, aside from the Spanish and the Americans who both colonized us). I didn’t develop as much taste for siopao, siomai, hargow, sticky rice, meatballs,
spare ribs, fried squid, egg tart, sesame ball, mango pudding, and congee as much as my favorite, Phoenix Claws (is it any wonder then that I have settled in Phoenix?). I don’t know how to make it so that’s what I order every time at a dim sum place. 

Chicken wings gave me the reason to fly. Chicken feet gave me the reason to do road trips (walking is too slow), starting with our eight years of RVing, as chronicled in my book, Carolina: Cruising to an American Dream. And I still have not stopped eating both. So how can I ever stop traveling, you might ask. When I take my last breath.

chicken feet
There you have it. That’s the secret to my traveling soul. I suggest you start eating them, too! If not chicken feet, then all the chicken wings you can.


















NOTE FOR MOBILES:
Share Buttons will appear when you click "View Web Version" at the bottom of the post past comments.







56 comments:

  1. Hahahah, it's funny! Inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
    It is the little changes that make the largest changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi to all, since I am actually eager of reading this web site's post to be updated on a regular basis.
    It contains fastidious material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read so many posts regarding the blogger lovers except this post
    is really a pleasant post, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love hearing what sparks people to not only start traveling but continue to travel. I can only imagine how after so long in the corporate world (where you traveled) how freeing it was to be able to go where you want, when you want and for how long you want. Why NOT enjoy this time you've worked so hard for??

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always interesting to understand why people travel, what a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great info. Lucky me I discovered your site by chance (stumbleupon).
    I have saved it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there friends, fastidious article and good urging commented here, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think once you've got the travel bug you don't want to stop ever. I hope I'm still travelling when I'm 70 and I hope you enjoy many years of travelling yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun and entertaining post. This has given me some food for thought as I'm not sure what fuels my continuing passion for travel at 69.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're right there with me! I think I have me at least 10 more years. And you?

      Delete
  11. Carol, I have eaten many things, but must say that chicken feet is still one I have yet to try. Of course you certainly make it look enticing, so it looks like its about time to test them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cute post. I can eat wings any day but chicken feet even to this day scare me. lol I dont know why as do fish on a plate with eyes on them. Here's to more trips with those wings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning story there. What occurred after? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an inspiration. I want to keep traveling as well when I grow old, retire. It's nice to know people like you. Keep me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's an amazing post designed for all the online visitors; they will get benefit from it
    I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice story. I think I got the travel bug from my parents and food too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol, what a fun read! It's great that you were able to travel for your career and it must be so nice to be able to expand on that in retirement. I love the anecdote about receiving the leaves with a letter from your mother. That must've been a very inspiring moment if the memory has stuck with you ever since. I too am a huge fan of chicken feet, and I don't think my family will ever be able to understand! It's definitely one of my favorite dim sum dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are almost kindred souls. The only difference? My family understands and likes it, too!

      Delete
  18. I really enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Kind Regards, Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  19. In my case, it must be chicken wings that helped me take flight--definitely not chicken feet! Enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. If only I can convince more people to like chicken feet!

      Delete
  20. I love reading articles like this one that tell what inspires someone to not only start traveling but to keep doing it. It must be a liberating feeling after years in the corporate world. I really enjoyed reading your story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my little story. The chicken wing did it. And then came the chicken feet!

      Delete
  21. You are an inspiration to your family and friends! I like to travel a lot but you have inspired me even further to stay on my quest. By the way, where did you stay in Cozumel?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have so beautifully expressed why you love to travel so much. Your mother was an inspiration and so are you. Do not stop and keep spreading the happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider that a very near me compliment. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was an inspiring read. For us travelers, once the travel bug bits us, the road becomes the only home. Thank You for sharing this article. More power to you and may you travel long and strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love reading how you found your travel wings -- though chicken wings and chicken feet are something that will not find their way onto my dinner plate anytime soon, even if they do fuel your travels. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an interesting background and great photos of your youth!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an inspirational, fun read. Although I'll pass on having any chicken feet! ~ Sage Scott, the Everyday Wanderer

    ReplyDelete
  29. I understand that travel is addiction and it becomes more and more as we explore new places. Loved reading your post about how it started with you and your love for chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a cool and funny story, Carol! I admire you for your passion and curiosity to travel the world.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such an interesting and different post. You are an inspiration to all of us travelers.Happy Birthday and happy traveling. Look forward to more of your travels and travel stories that you put together for your readers and inspire them

    ReplyDelete
  32. I agree that the urge to travel often starts when you're young. Not sure about the chicken feet though...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, food is often the touch point associated with travel. Happy travels

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment