Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Sweet San Francisco, Seen through Special Eyes

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Sweet San Francisco, Seen through Special Eyes

Photo Credit: Lonely Planet

We have been to San Francisco many times. Since there are many friends and family in this city, our visits have mostly been centered around social events. We have not really had a closer look at what makes the city buzz. This time, however, my twenty-three-year-old granddaughter volunteered to take this elderly couple around the Golden City. She works as a Scientist for Envigo, one of the city's (and the country's) most successful biotech firms, after graduating with a BS in Biology from the University of Washington. Her special Millenial eyes gave us two beautiful days in the city.

Pier 39

She took us around in Ubers. I don't even have the app on my phone.  First stop was Pier 39. There were many points of interest: the floral door, the Carousel Ride, the boardwalk, exotic shops, the heart of hearts, and the great bay views. But when the barks, honks, grunts, growls, roars, moans or whatever else they call those sounds grew more loudly, we knew we were approaching the highlight of the area: the seals that have made the pier home for years. I had so much fun photographing the whole pod. But one very playful one, in particular, was the Star of the Show.

Star of the Show

The pier is one of the attractions of the famous neighborhood called the Fisherman’s Wharf. On the walk around this area, we spotted good street art, a great view of Alcatraz (the Golden Gate was hiding that day) and old WWII ships on display. But it is best known for the crabs, clam chowder on sourdough bread, and other seafood served by the restaurants that have been serving these great foods for generations. And not far is Ghirardelli Square, a two-level shopping section with captivating arches and signs, where the star is the chocolate exemplar sold at the Marketplace. 

my granddaughter looking at a warship

Another Uber ride took us to Chinatown. Whoa! Beyond the Dragon Gate unfolded an area bustling with rows and alleys of all kinds of cultural products from the East: home décor, gadgets, souvenirs, produce, baked goods, dry goods, etc. There were also plenty of cocktail and karaoke bars, food joints, etc. Festive red balloons hang over the streets. Ornate buildings and temples make for great photos, too. Then my granddaughter brought us to her favorite bakery, Good Mang Kok. Their dim sum items are the best I have ever tasted. No wonder this Chinatown is one of the oldest and best established in the US.

Chinatown

We were all in San Francisco because another daughter, who is based in Melbourne,  was on training at her company’s HQ. We spent the night in her hotel room. After the morning tours, we met her for lunch. Then we proceeded to something I never knew existed: Japantown. It is a sprawling two-wing two-level mall of everything Japanese: décor, gadgets, clothing, art, food, cosmetics, etc. I loved the giant pagoda at the entrance, the wall painting of colorful umbrellas, the red bridge connecting two floors, temple replicas, and other Instagrammable spots. But it was at the store selling matcha ice cream in many many different flavors where we stayed the longest. Mine was the green tea version!

Japantown

Uniqlo
The next day, we saw what a major fashion center San Francisco is. We sought out Uniqlo (whose brand ambassadors include tennis icons Djokovic and Federer) to see what all the fuss is about this Japanese brand. The secret is great designs and materials. We also visited JINS, the fashion eyeglass outlet frequented by millennials. I found some styles for me (at 71, I still feel 31!). Too bad we do not have these stores in Phoenix.

During our shopping spree, we walked through Union Square and loved the Filipino flag hanging over one of the buildings fronting it. So were many other countries’ flags a little farther away. We found another heart of hearts. Nearby we also passed by The Turnaround, where the vintage tourist trolley turns around.

Zendesk
After lunch, we visited my daughter at the  Zendesk HQ. The company is one of the most successful in innovative customer service apps and support (Uber and AirBnb are two of its biggest clients). It was a delight to see how employee-focused the company is, a key reason for its success. The creativity of every employee is unleashed with the best working environment. Modern food and bar areas are in every floor (with pantries filled), nooks for every size and kind of discussion (twos or big groups) and a creative studio, and desks/chairs for every kind of working arrangement (including standing up or slouching with a laptop). San Francisco is one of the best workplaces in the world. Google and Facebook lead the pack in this work environment that was just starting to be in vogue when I was retiring.

We had three big meals in San Francisco. I am including this bit to show what a diverse culinary experience one can have in this lovely city. Our Day 1 lunch was at Delarosa, a popular pizza and pasta place near my daughter’s office on Market Street. On Day 2, lunch was also at a popular Indian eating place near their office called Little Delhi. But the highlight was our dinner at Crustacean, a sister restaurant of Thanh Long, the classic Vietnamese restaurant that has served the famous roasted crab with garlic noodles for ages. A friend took me and my young daughters there in the 1990s. They gushed that it was the best meal they have ever had anywhere in the world. Since then, they have dreamed of going back. So I took my daughter, albeit to this more accessible and upscale location. We even topped the night with delectable Thai desserts at Kin Khao right across Parc 55, my daughter’s hotel.

Bay Bridge at night

This time, we definitely had an unbelievably focused lovely two days in San Francisco. I do think it was because we had one of the best tour guides I could ever have, my millennial granddaughter who knows the city well. After all, she lives in Livermore, about forty-five minutes away. And that’s what our next post is all about.

PREVIOUS POST
Two Astonishing Days in Victoria on Vancouver Island


FOR MOBILES, click "View Web Version" at the end, past the comments, to display share buttons. The Pin Button will come up after clicking the rightmost.


CLICK THIS TO PIN THIS IMAGE
























CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE




82 comments:

  1. Our unbelievably focused two days in San francisco courtesy of one of the best tour guides we could ever have, my millenial granddaughter who knows the city well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great visit and a very well written blog report. Glad I could tag along😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually glad to read this web site posts which consists of plenty of helpful facts,
    thanks for providing these information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
    great. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you
    are not already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of ubering around San Francisco and having a local guide. There's just so much to see, you would have a hard time fitting it all in without those things. Plus, it's an excellent backdrop for a day with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! This looks so stunning. Very well written and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great that you got to see San Francisco through the eyes of your granddaughter. We are now Uber converts. So many cities like San Fran are great spots for Uber. I will have to go to Good Mang Kok for dim sum! Sounds like a great suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'd love to visit San Francisco and their amazing workplaces. My imagination goes crazy thinking about how much fun it would be to work in that kind of creative environment. You're right, the best tour guide is always a local!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love San Francisco, fell in love with the place and now I am planning a trip back. Seven days was not enough on my last visit. Can't wait to get back there. I remember those seals, and the sounds they made. Cant believe they lay there next to the pier so they can all escape from the sharks in the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos and narrative. Made me miss the city by the bay and want to return! Nice to have an 'in house' tour guide!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to visit SF and just know it is somewhere we would instantly love!! I also love that you are so open to experiencing somewhere familiar through the eyes of another generation. Too often the older generations can become somewhat reluctant to see these new angles and also very critical of us Millennials!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 2 millenial granddaughters and love how they see the world! It is so great an experience when they spend time with us.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful trip thru San Francisco and you could not ask for a better tour guide. Nothing like a different pair of eyes to open new vistas. I would love to visit Japantown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You certainly did see San Francisco's highlights! What fun to have your granddaughter as a tour guide.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love San Francisco and even better to have discovered more of the city through the eyes of a local guide. On our last trip, we visited Japantown as well and loved it. Though, it would have been a much richer experience with a local. Noted a few new places for our next visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you had a wonderful time seeing San Francisco through special eyes. There is something extra special when you get to explore with family, and especially grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, grandkids just make life mire interesting and special!!!

      Delete
  16. I have only spent about 24 hours in San Francisco -- and most of that was at a convention center. Needless to say, I need to go back and enjoy some of the places you mentioned from your tour with your granddaughter. Pier 39, the Wharf, Chinatown and Japantown are now all on my list of "must see" places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy this post helped. Thanks to my granddaughter!

      Delete
  17. We love San Francisco too! Nothing is better than a day near the wharf eating the fresh clam chowder and sourdough bread! A perfect place to visit with the family! xo - Kam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you got to see some of the best part of San Fransisco. It's been about 10 years since I last visited and at the time there was no Uniqlo. I love how colorful their staircase is! I'm also surprised to hear you don't have Uber on your phone. It's such a handy app and I can't believe just five years ago I used to have to call a taxi. Never again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't. My husband does. I let him experiment with new stuff.

      Delete
  19. Ahh.. San Francisco ... So many wonderful things to see and do, and many are even free. So glad you had a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Once again a great post Caroline!
    San Francisco is in our mind and I love the idea of roaming around with a local guide. Without a guide we tend to miss out the little details or some hidden gems. Also, they help in managing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if the guide is free and given with loving care!

      Delete
  21. I heard some great things about San Francisco, I would love to spend time at Fisherman's Wharf and admire the Golden Gate bridge at dusk, thank you for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nothing better than touring a great city with a great and knowledgeable guide. Looks like you got some looks you wouldn't have otherwise had. We should all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So if I can be honest, I had been to San Fran like 10 times when I lived in San Diego since it was a short flight away. But except for the 1st time when I went to hang out with a local friend there, the rest of the trips made me kind of dislike it. It always falls flat to me and I have no idea at all what the big hype is about it. Now I will say that the one thing you talk about doing that I never did was go and explore Chinatown. That was and still is something that I would really like to do if I ever go back. I guess I will give it one more chance.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your granddaughter did a great job! Ubers are fantastic aren't they? Chinatown in SF is amazing, but I didn't know about Japantown either. Now I'm mad I missed it last fall. I will have to go back to see it and Uniqlo. All of that color is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping in those 3 places send you to 3 different worlds!

      Delete
  26. It's amusing how you went around a familiar place but this time around through a "millennial's eyes". A Chinatown isn't surprising as they're in almost every country! But a Japantown - that's the first time I've ever heard of it. I would want to have a look there myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I bet it was wonderful, seeing an old city through the help of new eyes, especially when it is your granddaughter :) Fisherman's Wharf and all the seafood option around it sounds lovely. And the Chinatown looks as jubilant as always. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I
    stumbleupon on a daily basis. It's always exciting to read articles from other authors and practice something from
    other websites.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Always fun to see a destination through someone of a different age. It looks like you had a wonderful visit. It makes me want to visit San Francisco, it's been awhile since I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My sister lives near Palo Alto south of San Francisco and both I and my husband have attended several conference there for work. It is definitely it's own place. Last time I went on a great walking tour. It's "free" and then you pay what you want to at the end. We also always make our way to China Town and I think once we also found an Italian neighborhood. Sounds like you had a lovely time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I finally got yo "know" Dan Francisco, I think! One more time,!

      Delete
  31. San Francisco is such a beautiful city, and you are correct in saying the seals are the star of the show! i remember seeing swarms of them in SF and just amazed at how many can fit on one little wharf :) Glad you had an enjoying stay!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You really did have the best possible tour guides! Family are fantastic for that, as they really know what will interest you the most. It sounds like you had a fantastic, colorful time in SF!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a colorful account. I live in San Francisco and agree with everything that you have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a beautiful city of San Francisco. Looks like you had a good time there <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. As they say, the best tour guide is a local. What a lovely visit to have with your Granddaughter. A memory you'll all take with your forever now.

    ReplyDelete
  36. How special that your granddaughter could show you around. Looks like she was a spectacular tour guide. I've been to Chinatown in SF but not to Japantown. I'll make sure to look for that next time I visit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. San Francisco is one of my favorite cities! I'm glad you got to enjoy it with your grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  38. We had absolutely loved the fisherman's wharf area during our visit a few years back, nut missed out on a lot of the fun things you've described - especially the unique Japantown and the awesome shopping! Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The places I want to visit in SF is China Town, Golden Gate bridge and Lombard Street. The latter is one of its kind and unique to SF.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Design of Uniqlo is incredible and unique. Sea lions look very cute. I have heard that they are quite smelly. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's always cool when you get to see a city through new eyes. I have yet to visit San Francisco, but its a city I want to explore very badly.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a remarkable post. Have not been to San Francisco but you have certainly given me something to think about pushing it higher on my list. Many congratulations to your granddaughter's achievement.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment