Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Livermore: Technology Hub, Outlet Shopping Mecca, Wine Valley, and Gateway to Farms,

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Livermore: Technology Hub, Outlet Shopping Mecca, Wine Valley, and Gateway to Farms,

sunburnt fields of California Central Valley

This is my third time to visit Livermore ever since my daughter moved there from Seattle. But I never fully realized the importance and charm of this city until this trip. 

We drove from Vancouver, British Columbia and stayed overnight in Longview, Washington after looking at our newest investment rental house in Puyallup. The road to our second stop in Redding, California took us through smoke-filled freeways due to the raging wildfires in Oregon’s forests.


smoke-filled I-5 section in Oregon 

the Centennial Light Bulb
Since Redding is only three hours away from Livermore, we woke up early to catch the launch of my son-in-law’s project in downtown Livermore, Veteran’s Way. It is one of many that are meant to transform the downtown area, including last year's restoration of the historic railroad depot.  

Livermore: The Technology Hub

But it was because my eleven-year-old grandson was on summer break that I discovered the Guinness Book of World Records’ “Longest Living Light Bulb” in the world. Maintained by the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department, the Centennial Light is at least 118 years old (installed 1901) and has only been turned off a few times. This is the secret to its longevity. Turning on and off wears the filament down.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

He then asked us to take him to the Visitor Center of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. We have to thank him for this awesome find. It is the third of seventeen national laboratories under the Department of Energy. Founded in 1952 by the University of California in Berkeley at the height of the Cold War, its special mission was and still is to meet urgent national security needs by advancing nuclear weapons science and technology.

Visitor Center, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Located on a restricted one-square-mile at the eastern edge of Livermore, it also owns a 7,000-acre Site 300 which acts as its experimental test site about 15 miles southeast of the main site. With an annual budget of about $1.5 billion, the Laboratory has roughly 5,800 dedicated employees in its workforce. In 2012, livermorium, a synthetic and extremely radioactive element number 116, is the latest element to be added to the periodic table.  It was named after the city.



The Visitor Center is at the entrance to the Laboratory. It is hard to find because the address on the Internet is its mailing address (maybe intentionally so), It exhibits the importance of the laboratory and where laboratory tours can start if one applies for it (we will on our next trip). My grandson's favorite place to spend an afternoon, it also quickly became mine. It has things like the plasma ball (see video), the exhibits about Sierra 2, the second-fastest supercomputer in the world that is at the center of the Laboratory (the fastest is called Summit and is at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennesee which we had visited in 2012), and many interactive ways to learn more.


Sierra 2, the world's second-fastest supercomputer

Sandia Laboratories is a privately owned subsidiary of Honeywell International Situated right next to the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, its mission is “to maintain the reliability and surety of nuclear weapon systems, conduct research and development in arms control and nonproliferation technologies, and investigate methods for the disposal of the United States' nuclear weapons program's hazardous waste.” So it works in partnership with the National Lab.

Livermore: Outler Shopping Mecca


San Francisco's Premium Outlets

My other daughter came down to visit from Calgary, Canada the following weekend/ We had so much fun shopping at the San Francisco Premium Outlets located just 40 miles from the windy city. Over 180 shops sell their products at heavily discounted prices here. The mall gets pretty busy on weekends and actually chokes on holidays. I love the business jacket I got for just $25.

Livermore Wine Region
Livermore: Wine Valley

Livermore is a wine region just as old as Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Although it is small with only thirteen wineries and vineyards compared to the latter regions’ six hundred, it nevertheless can compare with the quality. My daughter and son-in-law are members of McGrails so we had free wine tastings for the family one afternoon when my daughter who makes Melbourne home came to visit from her week's training at their San Francisco HQ.

Livermore: Gateway to Farms

When we left Livermore to drive back home to Phoenix, the vineyards changed into golden sunburnt fields. Now I know why it is called the gateway to the Central Valley. Soon these fields were punctuated by different farms: livestock, orchards, and other farms. The area is California's “single most productive agricultural region and one of the most productive in the world, providing more than half of the fruits, vegetables, and nuts grown in the United States.” It's such a beautiful road trip through these fields traversed by I-5.  

Livermore is an important California city and we are fortunate to have the opportunity to visit it at least once a year. We will share each discovery we make with you. If you have any questions now about the city, note them in the comments below and I will get back to you with some answers.



PREVIOUS POST
Sweet San Francisco through Special Eyes

FOR MOBILES, click "View Web Version at the end of the post past comments and share buttons will appear.



CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE                    























CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE   

































92 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed learning more about Livermore. The fire station, the labs at LivermoeL we're great learning experience .And Kenji was a goo tour guide😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. My relatives every time say that I am wasting my time here at web, however I know I am getting knowledge
    daily by reading such nice articles or reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo of you at the technology centre, looks like you are about to go into a time machine. :) But seriously, looks like a great drive with some wonderful places along the way, I see there is a wine region...I am always up for a bit of wine tasting in the area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such interesting information about Livermore! The technology centre looks great! Plus I'm always into something if there is wine involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,Livermore has a wine valley. I had no idea, 13 wineries sound like the perfect number as it would not be as overwhelming as Napa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked on a contract with Livermore years ago, but I never got to go. Looks like I should go now! Plus, I had no idea it was part of a wine region. And how fortunate that you got to enjoy the free wine tastings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Freeway full of smoke looks somewhat dramatic. Hope it all went well for the people there.
    Of course I stopped to see the photo of the longest living light bulb in your post, that's an interesting fact I didn't know about. :)
    Also, the national laboratory sounds like a nice sight to visit.
    Well, looks like you had so much fun with your family and enjoyed few lovely sights and landscapes on the way. What more could one want, right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to find trivia like the “longest living lightbulb” for your grandson. Some fun sights to see. I would probably pass on shopping. But not the wine valley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There seems to be so much going on here for somewhere I had never heard of! I love the variety of the things to do from technology to wine , shopping and even world records! It just shows how having local knowledge pays off when it comes to really seeing what a place has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Longest living light bulb! This is so interesting. Never knew so much about Livermore. Glad to be a little more learned about this place. You in Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory makes such a cool insta pic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Livermore - this city looks to me like I imagine many cities in the US. I love it when you go exploring with your grandson. My daughter always loved traveling with her grandma. She has always had a lot of time and endurance to look upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandkids are now all old enough to be fun to travel with!

      Delete
  12. How cool is the Centennial Light - 118 years old is mind blowing! The technology centre would be a fantastic place to visit. I'd imagine you'd learn lots of the new things there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of Livermore until reading your article. A technology hub, wineries, the centennial light. Very cool. Thanks for the introduction to the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Will write about the food scene later.

      Delete
  14. What an incredible experience to be able to visit a national laboratory and see historical technology like the Centennial Light! There is so much to learn everywhere you go!
    xo - Kam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of Livermore before now and didn't know it was a wine region. Interesting name! That light bulb is seriously cool! I wouldn't want to ever turn it off for fear that the time I turned it off it would die! Uh-uh. Nope!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Carol, Coincidently we were just there in August and like others had never heard of it. We thought of the lab areas as something out of the 'X Files'. Loved it there and the amazing wines. Good post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw your post. We covered different things, that's good!

      Delete
  17. How fun was that visit! I never knew that the world's longest running light bulb was found in Livermore. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Livermore seems quite the academic's favorite place to visit. Although, I will prefer the wine valley more than the tech hub! The shopping area with the premium outlets look fun too. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not academic but my career was in computers do it was very interesting to me.

      Delete
  19. Looks as if there is loads to do in Livermore. I think the wine region would be my first choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How great that you get to visit at least annually. I really like that your grandson has scoped out some of the best things to do! Plus you can’t go wrong in a wine region.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's a lot to see in Livermore. I'm surprised that it's the first time I ever read about it given all the things it has to offer to travelers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my third post on it and each time I uncover more!

      Delete
    2. Then I'm looking forward to your next visit to read some more about your discoveries :D

      Delete
  22. What in interesting place. It looks complete different from the big cities of California. What a natural setting! However, at the same time being in California, it had to have a Technology Hub!

    ReplyDelete
  23. 118 years light bulb in Livermore - wow!! That is a super find. It really seems like a shopping hub too. 25$ for business Jacket is really a very good find. Wine Tasting sessions will top our list of activities too. Thanks for sharing this post on Livermore.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Livermore has such a great number of things to do. The longest living lightbulb is so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Technology Hub in Livermore sounds fantastic. I reckon my kids would love to explore that. I'm fascinated with the longest lasting light bulb - just really goes to show what's possible! Couldn't resist a bit of wine tasting too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very interesting, I always thought Livermore was just a pass through city or quick pit stop, thanks for sharing all the interesting places to visit in the city, it was a fascinating tour.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting history! I used to work for the Illinois Emergency Management Agency with nuclear power, hits home!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is incredible that they have only had one lightbulb. Ours don't last very long at all, but they are truned off a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing, I had never heard of Livermore but it sounds like such an interesting place to visit. I would love to check out the lightbult and the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Wine tasting sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. National laboratory looks amazing place to visit; very exciting as well as informative.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooh this all sounds really fun (apart from the smokey freeways from the wildfires- epp!)

    Having 13 wine farms close together sounds pretty perfect. If you tried hard, you could visit most of them in a weekend! Did you end up buying lots of wine?

    ReplyDelete
  32. You had me at wine valley. ;-) I'd also pay a visit to the outlets if I'm ever in the Livermore area. Seems like the ideal place to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I drove through there on a business trip about 5 or 6 years ago. Sadly,. I did not have time to visit any of the wineries. Do they specialize in any specific type of wine over there?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Im going to visit the wine valley for sure! thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love the laboratory. I could spend hours exploring it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love Livermore -- and not just for its famous laboratory or realitively quaint downtown. Next time you are there, venture out to the surrounding parks for some lovely hiking and exploration ... start with Del Valle Regional Park. You will love it Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It looks like a beautiful place to visit and that's an interesting information about this 118 years old bulb. Your grandson is a great tour guide indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were do pleased with what we got yo see and with my grandson!

      Delete
  38. Very interesting post on a place I've never heard of before - and they have all this important technology....go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  39. My son worked in Livermore last summer as an intern -- it truly is a mecca for the technology world. So good to see your pics and hear about your interesting tour. We never made it there to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I moved from California to Seattle so I'm a little familiar about Livermore. I just remember NASA offices nearby and the wind turbines along the hills to power part of the city. I always enjoyed that drive from Sacramento valley through Livermore on the way to the Bay Area.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sounds like a really cool area! I’d really like to check out the wine and the laboratories.

    ReplyDelete
  42. The laboratory, the wine valley and the gorgeous landscapes.... I think it is a must visit. Always love reading about new places.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the grasslands just in from the Bay at Livermore and Gilroy. It's such a dramatic contrast to the wet coast. Fascinating about the longest light bulb. I heard that alternating current burns up filaments too because of the frequent field reversals.. I wonder if that lightbulb was installed on a DC circuit before AC became the universal standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tire of those sunburnt fields. Oh I didn'ask that! I should have.

      Delete
  44. Livermore looks great! I had a student of mine gone to the technology hub and he said that it was a dreamland for those who are interested in technology, which I am too. Other than that, The Outler Shopping Mecca would be such a great time for a shopping spree!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Livermore looks lovely and hope to visit one day. More interestingly, I am keen in getting hold of your book. Really fascinated by your inspiring caption to the book. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sara and I left Mesa today and passed several great looking outlet malls. This post makes me wish we would have stopped. I haven't been to Redding or any of these areas, for that matter, but maybe our next RV trip will take us through Canada on this route. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment