Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Mazatlan’s Stairway to Heaven Leads to a Modern Lookout

Friday, January 17, 2020

Mazatlan’s Stairway to Heaven Leads to a Modern Lookout



the new sign
Although this is already our fourth visit to Mazatlan, there is one landmark that we had meant to conquer from the very beginning but we haven’t. We decided we would not let this visit pass until we climb the highest lighthouse in North America, the El Faro Mazatlan.  Located on the top of 523-ft high Creston Hill at the entrance to the Port of Mazatlán, the lighthouse is accessed by climbing 300 paved stairs after a moderately steep gravel path.

I was unsure that, at 71, I am a healthy individual with good physical abilities for whom the website says the hike is recommended. But people had been telling me that it is well worth the climb because of the great views of the city and the sea around it. It is free of charge, open from 6:30 am to 8 pm every day.  It is, however, NOT wheelchair accessible.

the stairs going up
We made sure we were ready for the hike, wore good walking shoes, and brought enough water to drink. After breakfast, at about 9:30 am, we rode the Green Bus to Sabalo Central which takes you through downtown and Old Mazatlan. The stop on the road leading to the hill and the entrance to El Faro is the last one on this line. It was about a 30-minute ride from our El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel.

Since it is a very popular attraction, there were many others hiking with us that morning, a lot of them even older than me. I told myself I had to make it to the top. Besides, there were many improvements made in 2018, including a new 'Faro Mazatlan' sign next to the entrance where there are also restrooms. Plastic webbing was also added to 50% of the gravel path for additional stability but there seemed to be not much of it left., after only just more than a year. But it is good that we had waited this long to go.

a view of Port Mazatlan from the top

After about 30 minutes and countless stops to take "breathtaking" photos, we reached the top. We stayed quite a while to have all the photo-ops we could have of the scenery around, with us in them. We especially loved the new glass-bottomed lookout added as part of the 2018 improvements. Although a small fee of M$10 (US$0.55) is charged to go out on itand we had to wear blue plastic shoe fittingsthe experience was both exhilarating and scary, given my fear of heights.

at the end of the new lookout
the Virgin Mary on the rock






















They say there were also plans to add a zip-line from the top of the El Faro to Paseo Claussen. That would have been so extreme that it would somehow end up being unsafe so the plans were dropped. In fact, on the way down, almost near the top, we noticed flowers thrust onto the side of a rock. We thought it was to remember an ill-fated death. But the locals pointed to a plaque of the Virgin Mary engraved higher up into the rock. These are so common everywhere in this predominantly Catholic country. My native land, the Philippines, is also predominantly Catholic but we do not have such devotional practices.

The hike down took us no more than 15 minutes but I was so tired I wanted to get a taxi to get back to the hotel fast. But I also needed to shed some pounds from all the all-inclusive food so I resisted the temptation and took the Green Bus again. That was a great day trip. It was too bad we were not allowed to go up the lighthouse as it still functions as a lighthouse.

El Faro
In 1828, the location began to be used as a reference point to guide the ships to the port. The Lighthouse was added in 1890 to 1892 and was built at a height of 157 meters above the middle-high tide. This makes it the tallest natural lighthouse in the world. Its location is 23 10.5 'north latitude, and 106 26.5' of west longitude. With a light beam that is 1,000 watts and an angle of illumination 270 at 170, it can be seen by ships at a distance of 30 nautical miles or 55 kilometers. 

I woke up the following day with sore calves. But I will always remember trips to lighthouses. They is always something magical about them. This one even more so. It is Mazatlan's stairway to heaven with a modern lookout.  



PREVIOUS POST
Mexico, Season 2: We Can Hardly Wait

FOR MOBILES, click "View Web Version" at the end of the post past comments and share buttons will appear. The Pin Button is at the end.

CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE
























CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE

52 comments:

  1. Major improvements to El Faro, the tallest lighthouse in the world. It's in Mazatlan, Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice hike and a great view! Many places to stop and rest and enjoy the view of the harbor along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. But I am suffering now for the physical exertion it required of me!

      Delete
  3. I tell you something, you keep on rocking Carol! Over 70, still doing hikes, keeping fit and enjoying life. I hope I can still be in that form when I get to retirement age. I am like yo on hikes with great scenery, keep stopping to admire the view or taking photographs. I would go for the viewpoint, I love these sort of things and probably the hikes I want to do with my children when they are a few more years older. I can see them running up that staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always good when you finally get to a spot you have been meaning to visit. I am glad to know that the hike was worth it for the views the glass bottom lookout is a great addition to this spot. Even if it was an additional charge. Definitely would want to visit Mazatlan’s Stairway to Heaven if we visit. (LD Holland)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a view from the top! I would have gone out on the glass deck too, although I'm sure my heart would be racing. Sounds like a must-do when in Mazatlan. Thanks for putting in on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this looks absolutely amazing! I love views like this. Your photos are also amazing, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only hope I'm as fit as you when I'm 71, and look as good too! That view would have been worth the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great place to visit. I love that it is free to go up and such a small fee for the glass. I've been in Asia for a little while and it does seem that in a lot of places here they just charge and if it's known a lot of westerners might go there then they charge a highly inflated rate comparable to US/ AUS/ European prices which is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That new glass-bottomed lookout does look spiffy, but I think I would opt to save the 55 cents and keep my breath! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No wonder you went 4 times - that place is magical.

    https://aab-edu.net/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. We love lighthouses and climb wherever we can for the view and photos. I think that glass bottom on the lookout deck would make me a bit squeamish, but I'd still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always a great sense of satisfaction doing a day trip on a local bus and then a hike! Good for you! It sure seems that the steps are worth it. What a view. Would love to get to Mazatlan sometime and climb the Stairway to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun day trip with amazing views. Those blue covers over your shoes look so funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is no way hubby would stand on the glass platform. I bet you had a great sense of achievement when you arrived at the bottom again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I fell ill! It turned out it was too much of a stress for my 71-yo body.

      Delete
  15. Kudos on that hike! We are avid hikers as well, and I can't tell how many times I had sore calves and legs after a challenging hike! But once you are up there, it's usually so worth it (though the next day can remind you again). And that glass platform is something else. Always wondered how it would feel! One end it must be thrilling to see you and get that view. On the other, would really wonder how thick that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like quite the adventure to get up there but you are rewarded with the beautiful views! Good for you for conquering the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a stunning location! The glass bottomed lookout looks so cool - we have a few of these at several spots in Switzerland and I always love walking out at them. It's so great that you're so fit at 71 and going on such adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a friend who just got back from Mazatlan and said it was incredible. It's definitely on my travel list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice photo spot during the day. I could imagine that the view must be spectacular at night.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a great hike and definitely worth the effort for that incredible view!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yaaay! Go you!

    There is something so exhilarating about climbing up high under your own steam. The views are fantastic, even if they were a bit scary with that glass floor!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like the view was worth the hike. And it's amazing how cheap it is to step in the viewing platform!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll go there just for the views. Truly breathtaking. Very well detailed post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That view really is lovely and definitely wortht eh steps up the lighthouse! The glass bottom also seems like a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually never been on top of a lighthouse ! Would be fun to check out this tallest one in North America ! The fee for the glass bottom deck is not too unreasonable !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a view from the top! I'd have to walk across the glass walkway even tho my heart would be racing like crazy!

      Delete
  26. I love this modern lookout from Mazatlan’s Stairway to Heaven. Climbing 300 paved stairs might be a bit challenging, but the view is for sure worth the effort. I hope to visit this city one day. It's a very photogenic spot.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment