Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: What If We Can No Longer Travel

Friday, July 3, 2020

What If We Can No Longer Travel


While on lockdown in Arizona during this pandemic, I was able to finish my second book. It was my flagship project during the period of isolation that was forced upon my husband and me. We also did not get into the virtual travel bandwagon. Instead, we insisted on making road trips to state, regional, and national parks that were left open for the adventurous souls like ours (please see 5 Socially Distanced Road Trips to State, Regional, and National Parks). We reasoned they were natural social distancing opportunities, much better than going to the grocery or the mall. They gave us a welcome whiff of the desert spring that we love so much and we discovered small Arizona towns of character along the way (please see PREVIOUS POST).

But each time I came home, I began to think about how it will be if I truly cannot travel anymore. Not because of an external menace, but because of a personal condition. The question I asked myself was "What If we can no longer travel?” In truth, there are still seven years left in my seventies. But, as early as now, I stop to think about if and how I will travel in my eighties, even my nineties. But when I start to feel hopeless, I snap back and get ready for the time when, not if, the lockdown will be lifted and we can travel again.

Walnut Canyon in Flagstaff, Arizona

Although Covid-19 is seemingly exhibiting a second burst of energy here in Phoenix, I firmly believe the spread will dissipate, there will be more effective therapeutics and then a vaccine will be available. We have canceled our April, May, and June trips out of state. But we are going ahead with our July, August, and September road trips. And we wait for the time  that the Canada-US border restrictions will be lifted so we can also visit our Canadian family. Lastly, we are fervently are still preparing for our December-March annual vacation in Mexico. For that to materialize, the Mexico statistics of cases and deaths must ease and the border restrictions lifted.

But I am looking beyond these. There are still seven years in my seventies before I say goodbye to it. This has been a period of traveling more slowly and more comfortably. At the end of this decade, there will probably be another change in the way we travel. Even more comfort and convenience will be needed. As early as now, I stop to think about how we will travel in our eighties; in fact, even nineties; and then perhaps even later. While we are getting ready for the time when the lockdown will be fully lifted, air travel would be safer, and we can travel again to anywhere we would like to go, my wonderings take me to the time when I really won’t be able to travel anymore. 

a Las Vegas display on Chinese New Year

As much as our travels have steadily become less, from twelve months to eight in my sixties to six in my seventies, it will probably just be four in my eighties, and two in my nineties. This will not be because of external circumstances like we have today but because we may increasingly be forced, by reason of our own aging bodies or dwindling resources or both, to spend more months at home. We will probably stay in Phoenix even in early and late summer or early and late winter and not just in spring or fall.

In the end, we will probably be limited to spending our two-three months of travel in Mexico. Since we would also have probably exhausted all the day trips possible here in Phoenix and there in Mexico, they will not really be travels per se but a simple transfer between homes. Even our summers will change from extended road trips to visit family and friends. Instead, we will see them in just two weeks of reunionssomewhere in the US accessible in reasonable drives from Phoenix one with Bill’s family and another with mine. Hopefully, they will also think of visiting us more than waiting for us to visit. 

at the Aerial Tramway in Palm Springs, California

And, if we will probably still feel some feet itchiness, we will most probably look for places that are closer to home. For example, they can be summer trips to Sedona, the beautiful red rocks city, and Flagstaff, that refreshing mountain town, which are both at higher elevations and much cooler than and only two to three hours from Phoenix. A little farther away are Las Vegas, only five hours, and Palm Springs, only four and a half hours from our Viewpoint home. It is a good thing our timeshares have plenty of options in any of those places. 

Even if air travel will be declared safe again, we will probably also no longer be able to stand long haul flights. That would practically eliminate travel to the Philippines and Australia.  My youngest daughter April makes Melbourne home. I also still have two sisters in Manila. My BFFs also live there. I can imagine that there will be significant events when we will have to make the trip. During such times, we would most probably have to fly business or first-class. 

love this scene in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

My writing will also probably change. In my seventies, I added inner journeys to my writing staple of travel diaries. In my eighties, because we will be going to fewer new places, I will probably be writing mainly travel essays. And in my nineties, it will probably further shift to musings about life in general, albeit in different settings. My overall theme will then transition from “Cruising Past 70” to “Cruising to the End.” I hope there will be enough energy for a third book.

In other words, I don’t foresee a time when I will no longer travel except at the very  end. I have a well-entrenched traveler’s soul. I still eat a lot of chicken feet and wings (please see Do You Want to Know the Secret to My Traveler's Soul?. Thanks for coming along with me on this continuing long ride. I hope I am making a difference to those of you who discovered travel early because you see that it is indeed quite possible to continue well past 70. I hope it has also inspired those of you who discovered it late because you know that it can be done until the end. Let us simply be true to our souls and let them roam as freely as they can.


FOR THOSE ON MOBILE, SHARE BUTTONS APPEAR WHEN YOU CLICK WEB VERSION AT THE VERY END AFTER COMMENTS.


                


46 comments:

  1. I worry about this with coronavirus spreading like wildfire now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolina, this is something I think about a lot, although I'm only in my mid-40s. Time passes so quickly (except, of course during COVID lockdown) that I know I won't be able to travel the way I have been forever. But as you said, we'll just have to adapt and change our travels to our situation. Those of us with wanderlust will always find a way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your that how you travel changes over time. We too are travelling slower and more comfortable each year. I don’t believe this pandemic will stop us from travelling. Just delay when we head back out on the road again. We were certainly glad we got a great long trip in at the beginning of the year to tide us over. And are forever happy that we decided to semi retire early to start travelling extensively. I hope you continue to travel as much as you want for as long as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the Philippines we are still having high cases everyday. I was about to go to Australia last April. Hope this pandemic ends very soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can’t wait to start travelling properly again. But don’t think you should stop based on age. Age is but a number. Travel keeps you active and young. Keep going, love reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand that you have to look at travel differently as you age, but I hope that you all will stay healthy enough to continue to do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By this time we are nursing aha fewifew and there will be more as we get older.

      Delete
  7. I think this is something a lot of people are beginning to think about. Even if it isn't age causing people to slow down, those will immune compromised family or those who don't want to risk air travel for the next few years will also be restricted to travelling domestically. Definitely something that will have implications for many people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of external reasons...and then there are inner ones.

      Delete
  8. I have visited Walnut Canyon and it is an amazing landscape that you can walk through this indian cliff dwelling canyon, thanks for sharing that again

    ReplyDelete
  9. You pose any interesting predicament, when you ask what if we could no longer travel. 2020 has made us rethink our normal processes and instead choose destinations that offer a perceived "safer" atmosphere. We hope that this is a temporary fix, as there are so many things we still want to experience. On a side note, congratulations on completing your 2nd book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. One of the things I glad about us that I have been to a lot of places, at past 70!

      Delete
  10. Covid did cut a few months - hopefully not years - off our travel plans and it did make us face the reality that we have far fewer travel years ahead of us than behind. We will take it as it comes and instead of thinking of it as 'travel plans' will think of it as 'travel hopes'!! Congrats on finishing your book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went on my first trip last weekend and it sure feels very different than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait. We have a road trip starting in three days!

      Delete
  12. I agree with you Carolina, it is a matter to think about. But again, age is just a number - we keep ourselves fit and healthy ready to travel when this pandemic gets over. We are in the same boat thinking of losing a year in this pandemic situation but there is always hope at the end of every problem in the world especially for travel lovers!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Travel certainly does evolve with time, but I firmly believe that we should do it as long as we possibly can. I admire your spirit to keep moving and hope you stay healthy during these crazy times!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are certainly taking care that health will not be the reason we have to stop traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, you are right as we age and life unfolds some traveling norms change. Thank you for sharing many of your local AZ trips. We need to make visit your direction! May your wanderlust continue to carry you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed reading this! It's so inspiring to think about traveling in our 70s, 80s and 90s! I'm in my 50s and wondered what future travel might look like, and now I have all this inspiration to continue to explore new places in new ways!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting read! I really admire you dedication to travel, it goes to show that it is never to late to travel and if its something you really want to do, there is a way to do it! It is scary to think about how long the pandemic will halt travel (I know its not the most devastating thing that could happen, but it does have a huge impact on the lives of many.) We will have to take it one day at a time, but hopefully we will all be able to get back to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going on a road trip to Utah and Colorado on Saturday!

      Delete
  18. Very true. I am fast catching up to where you are. I think of those things as well. I guess when that time comes, we can always look back at past travels and relive them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. That's why I have kept a blog, written books, and taken thousands of pictures!

      Delete
  19. Yes, as we age it affects our ability to travel. But I still have a bucket list I plan to make a dent in. This pandemic has set me back and I realize there are some places I will never get to, but I have hope that I will make it back to some favorite places and explore a few more new places. I'm thinking group tours might help at a later point. Meanwhile, the first places I will go when the pandemic lifts will be to visit family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we are doing this Saturday. Fortunately, they are in low risk areas.

      Delete
  20. This post really makes you think. While I'm only 60, I know that time speaks by and I already don't quite have the energy to travel the same way 10 years ago. Also, as far as travelling to Canada, 81% of the population want the US/Canada border to stay closed until COVID in the US is under control. I know Ontario is talking about the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sad because I can't visit my daughter in Calgary. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  21. This pandemic has certainly made us all stop and think and appreciate the small trips, even just to see family, all the more. When this virus subsides, we'll be right back out there with you, exploring the world until the end!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it's a good opportunity to explore our backyard. I totally agree that spending time outdoors is certainly less dangerous than hanging out at malls or in stores. That US Americans are banned from Europe happened for a valid reason. If you think back of what happened in Italy and Spain - no wonder they are cautious. However, there are atrocious pictures from Mallorca of British and Germany tourists partying hard. They will mess up the little freedom of travel that we have now again - and, sadly, for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are now on a road trip to the mountains of Utah and Colorado! There are types of travel we can do!

      Delete
  23. So many good questions to ask. I applaude your spring travels. We've done the same with day trips and one longer drive to see family. All good and even as we slow down, there'll be inner journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Coronavirus has forced us all to adapt to new circumstances and to think about why and how we travel. Hopefully we can carry on finding new ways of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I totally understand your worries - totally! However, I wasn't positive if I was able to travel this year. And now I was to Prague and end of August, I'm going to Italy. The US can still turn this thing around - although it doesn't look too good, I give you that.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment