Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: PAINTING OUR TRAVELS: MELBOURNE'S BRIGHTEST BLOOMS

Thursday, February 11, 2021

PAINTING OUR TRAVELS: MELBOURNE'S BRIGHTEST BLOOMS


The extended lockdowns have made me reach for things to do, especially because we have had to cancel our trips. In fact, I had so much time on my hands that I was able to publish a book about travels that run deep within us: Cruising Past Seventy. It's Not Only about Outer Journeys. It's Also about Inner Ones. But other hobbies have also taken center stage: cooking and photography. I have thus started three new series on this blog. I kicked off the first in my last post with this: Veggies from Other Lands: Air Fryer Vegetable Tempura.

This week, I begin the second series: “Travel Tales through Pictures.” It was way back in 2019 when I already wrote about photography in Remarkable Photos: Reliving the Story More than Words can Ever Weave. But there is another kind of picture besides photos. And it opens another way of telling my stories. Last Christmas, somebody in the family got a Paint by Numbers kit. My interest was piqued; I decided to try, too. But, I opted for the custom version where you can choose one of your favorite photos and the service provider runs it through their software to produce a pattern just for you.

Other people choose photos of their pets, their grandkids, or themselves as a couple. And you guessed it right. I chose to favorite travel photos, those that had excellently captured the intrinsic beauty of the places we had visited. I came up with ten, some of which have even won awards in the Photo Shows I joined. Surely, painting the scenes is another way to remember our travels. Yes, I can say it with paintings, not just photos! 

To produce my first one, I chose the simplest of the ten photos. It was taken in Melbourne, Australia where I spent a few months babysitting my youngest grandson (he was not yet two at the time) while his parents began their new life with new jobs and a new home after migrating from the Philippines. During weekends, my husband and I toured the nooks and corners of the city, all the surrounding towns in Victoria, the many vineyards, the outstanding beaches, and the different parks and gardens. 


Being an avowed xanthophile  (a person who loves the color yellow), I was hugely ecstatic when I was greeted with huge trees crowned with tons of yellow flowers everywhere I went. Before I had come to Australia, I didn't know that the country's national tree is what they call the golden wattle. It was my tremendous luck that during the few months I was there, they were brightly blooming! 

I have a ton of pictures of those trees but I didn't use any of those. Australia has plenty of botanic gardens and we were able to visit the large and diverse one called The Royal Botanic Gardens. That's where I found a large bush bearing flowers I have never seen before. The flowers had immaculate white petals punctuated by large yellow stripes. After some research, I found out that the flower is aptly known as Superbells lemon slice! Ordinary yellow and white combos such as you what you might find in daisies and plumeria don't catch my attention as these ones did.


I sent the custom paint by number provider my photo and then they sent me the above-framed canvass etched with the pattern. They also sent me two paintbrushes and 34 tiny plastic tubs of ready-to-use acrylic paints. There was no instruction sheet provided so I googled the usual steps to take and asked the family members who had done it for some tips. 


This was my work when I had used about 1/3 of the colors. By this time, I learned that going top to down and left to right made so much sense. It made sure that the side of your right hand does not smudge any new area just painted. Acrylic is easier to use because it dries much faster than either oil or watercolor. By going this way, by the time you go back to the top left with the next color, the areas you had painted with the lighter color are already dry.


This is the piece with about 2/3 of the colors painted in. By this time, I had learned that going from lighter to darker colors made cleaning the brushes for the next color much easier. It didn’t have to be extra clean since the lighter color would not materially affect the next one. I also learned how the varying shades of each color determined the effects. There was a science to the numbers! And I could work at my own pace, making and correcting mistakes. It was particularly instructive.

And the final photo now hangs in my reading corner. It was a good enough first effort to copy the original travel photo. The exercise made me comfortable with the canvass, the brushes, and paint as a medium. But a painting tells a story more than words can ever tell; more than photos can. Whether it be a calming beach or a majestic mountain, the painting may not be as realistic as a photograph but it reveals more of the traveler and how he worked with his own hands to put all the colors together.

I may not be good enough yet, in fact, I may never become good at all, but the process allowed me to relive the ecstasy I felt when the color yellow greeted me everywhere I went around Melbourne that year. Perhaps later I would gradually leave the science of Paint by Numbers as I move from one travel photo to another. First speaking, then writing, followed by photography, and finally, painting. My journey from words to pictures does not really take the place of my outer journeys; it wonderfully complements them.

FOR THOSE ON MOBILE, SHARE BUTTONS APPEAR WHEN YOU CLICK WEB VERSION AT THE VERY END AFTER COMMENTS.

PREVIOUS POST















CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE BELOW




57 comments:

  1. From travel photos to travel paintings, the process relives the ecstasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written! I enjoyed the article

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your favorite color is yellow! It has been a favorite of mine over the years (and I love flowers!). Congrats on your book and I look forward to hearing more about your travels. I never thought of taking my favorite photos and making them into a paint by number! I love to paint, and am I good at it .. nope.. So that was so interesting! Your picture looks amazing in your reading spot! A great reminder of the beauty you captured in your travels. Such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel so good with it in my reading corner! Starting a new one...a bird!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Lovely. It was such a process and I like that you pointed out the things you learned all through. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea. Recreating your travel photos, as painting. Such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cool idea. I had no idea this was possible. Not being good at art in any way, painting by numbers could work for me. That’s been the best part of all these lockdowns - finding new hobbies:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your post. I'm a traveling Australian, so it was lovely to be taken home. Do you have an extract of your book "Cruising Past Seventy. It's Not Only about Outer Journeys. It's Also about Inner Ones." posted anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may go to the Amazon order page https://tinyurl.com/y22sfwds or my previous post "The Sequel to My First Travel Book Is Now Available for Preorder" and more recently "Celebrating Cruising Past Seventy in These Tryng Times." Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I didn't know you could have your own picture turned into a paint by numbers painting! What a fun idea. Now I want to try that with one of my pictures... It would also make a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you will be ✅ happy to tell your travel story this other way!

      Delete
  9. I recently started painting again too. It started because I couldn't find a cover photo for my Forest Bathing post so I decided to paint a picture of Tori Gates. I think I am going to do that more often. I don't like using stock photos, but sometimes I don't have my own photos of places I am posting about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an awesome idea to turn some of your favorite photos into paint by numbers! I wouldn't be able to reform paint anything like this, but I would definitely give it a try this way! Glad you enjoyed doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea for the lockdown time. It stimulates creativity and brings back beautiful travel memories. I've always wanted to paint, but I don't have a unique talent for it. Creating a travel painting from a travel photo is a great idea to start an adventure with art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow! These are beautiful! I did something with flowers back when we had lockdown, but since I'm a photographer I did a black & white photo series. I often think how much I would love to learn painting! Maybe one day I will. Your work is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, I seriously had no idea there was such a thing as an xanthophile! That's an awfully gorgeous painting! Stay safe, and hopefully we'll be on the other side of this pandemic soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is lovely that you have found such creative outlets during corona times. I have never heard of being able to order your own photo to be converted into a paint by numbers kit. Such a cool idea and my kids love doing paint by numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun way to convert your favorite photographs into a medium that you can use and paint something personal from the copied imagery. Very cool project and souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like fun and the only way I would ever be able to be a visual artist! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy...just like coloring books except it isn't crayons you use but paint!

      Delete
  17. What a good idea! a great way to relive a holiday experience and immortalise it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea, Carolina! I wish I was better at painting or drawing in general - I thought about trying out calligraphy. Should I give it a go?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's amazing how comfortable it can get - that they even print the motive with the numbers. However, I personally would feel a bit limited in my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so talented, Carol! I bet you you have already hung one of your paintings inside your RV! I love these bright yellow tones. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  21. This a dream come true. Thankfully you have the time to explore. Yellow is a cheery colour.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not the greatest at painting, but I have friends that are. So, when I hearing about paint by number kits makes me excited! I really enjoyed reading this article. I am sure it made you feel like you were back in Australia when you were painting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an interesting thing to turn travel photos into paint by numbers art. A great way to then have those photos around the house. It would certainly keep me busy in these days at home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that your'e finding all kinds of ways to explore your creativity. Since we can't explore the world, this may just be the nest best option.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a good idea. Being creative and enjoying your own memories.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, you are very artistic! What a wonderful thing to do with photos. I am not artistic, but I do love creating photo books from my travel pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a talent. You write books, blog, and now you paint. I'm impressed. I like this painting idea from the travel photo. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wondeful to be able to express myself thru pictures!!!

      Delete
  28. After suffering through our recent cold spell, it was so warming to see all of the yellow. It holds such significance, as it reminds us of the glowing orb that provides life to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a unique idea! I've tried painting previously - but not in this way. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fun and beautiful pastime. The painting is gorgeous and I'm really impressed with your process. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WoW... never heard of the paint by number like this. My grandmother was a painter and she used to get paint by numbers for us as kids. What a great way to remember your trip. Also did not realize xanthophile was a thing. I love the color yellow and I love flowers! Great information. So not know if I will ever make it to Australia, but it sounds beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely idea, and a way to keep occupied during lock down!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment