Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Veggies from Other Lands: Vegetable Tempura from Japan

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Veggies from Other Lands: Vegetable Tempura from Japan


I am introducing three new article series spawned by travel: Veggies from Other Lands, Travel Tales through Pictures, and A Travel Life’s Essentials. This is because our normal pace of travel is not returning soon, despite the vaccines. We are not resuming our trips until our anniversary in August. Each series is an offshoot of our travels. “Veggies from Other Lands” is inspired by popular dishes of other countries. “Travel Tales through Pictures” will feature travel photographs turned into paintings, and “A Travel Life's Essentials” will focus on things that must be in place for a life of travel in retirement.

This week, I start with the first, "Veggies from Other Lands." My husband and I are already in our 70s and we should be eating as healthy as possible. Vegetables have become king…and queen. So I have decided to feature vegetable recipes I have found from around the world. This should take the boredom out of salads so vegetables can become the better main dish on our table. First on my list is Air Fryer Vegetable Tempura. I am missing Japan (and actually the rest of Asia) so much. Food is one way to reminisce the awesome places we have been to. Turning the dishes into healthy versions is a plus.

Photo Credit: tripadvisor.com

Tempura is one of the most popular Japanese dishes. Whenever I went out dining at a Japanese restaurant, it was the dish I always ordered because I could not make it. That is until the batter mix became readily available in local grocers. The dish usually consists of seafood, meat, and vegetables that have been coated with this famous light and soft batter and deep-fried to perfection. It was actually introduced by the Portuguese who were then in Nagasaki as the fritter-cooking technique of the 16th century. The origin of the name is the Latin phrase quatuor anni tempora, the Ember Days when no meat is supposed to be consumed. So I can imagine that it really started as a vegetable dish. And that’s how I now want to eat it. Sometimes, I will cheat and have one shrimp tempura.

And then the air-fryer also became popular. It is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in a ton of oil. Now, how fabulously healthy is that?  A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via what is known as the Maillard reaction, the chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor. Actually, convection ovens have been in wide use since 1945. But it was only in 2010 when  Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of a convection oven, using its patented Rapid Air technology, at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. Early air fryers were barrel-shaped and that is what I still have. Later models have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers and even share their functions.

So, let’s make Air Fryer Vegetable Tempura!



Ingredients

1 cup sweet potato, cut as thin round slices

1 cup carrot cut 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide

1 cup eggplant cut as thin round slices

cup broccoli florets

1 cup red bell pepper, cut 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide

Tempura Batter Mix (McCormick or Kikkoman) 

For the dipping sauce:

3/4 cup dashi (Japanese soup stock) or chicken stock (I use Better than Bouillon chicken base)

3 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine like sake but with lower alcohol and higher sugar content)

2 tsp sugar

4 pcs round radish, grated and lightly squeezed to drain ( optional)

Steps

1    1. Preheat the AirFryer to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C.  Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F or 95 degrees C.

      2. Prepare the vegetables and sprinkle with a little salt.

     3. Prepare the batter according to the directions on the box.

     4. Fry the vegetables:

*Spray the fry basket with oil. 

*Immediately dip the vegetables in the batter and arrange them in a single layer in the Air Fryer basket. You may need to do several batches. Spray with oil.

*Cook each batch until golden brown for 10 minutes.

*Transfer to the oven to keep the vegetable tempura warm and crispy until you have all of them ready to serve.

     5. Make the dipping sauce :

* Combine dashi (or chicken stock), soy sauce, mirin, and sugar in a small saucepan.

*Bring it to a simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the heat and let cool.

*Grate the radish, squeeze water out gently, and mix with the sauce.

6. Serve with hot steamed rice. If preferred, use chopsticks.

FOR THOSE ON MOBILE, SHARE BUTTONS APPEAR WHEN YOU CLICK WEB VERSION AT THE VERY END AFTER COMMENTS.

PREVIOUS POST
























CLICK THIS TO PIN THE IMAGE BELOW


























52 comments:

  1. We can have vegetables as a main dish. Here's one: Air Fryer Vegetable Tempura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Great idea about the beyond veggies. I started doing foreign recipes to have a "vacation" at home because of covid as well. Even if we can't travel we should be able to fake it as much as possible. I pinned this recipe for later. I don't have an air fryer, but I plan on trying it in my oven on the convection setting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure love tempura. Thx for this recipe, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure love tempura. Thx for the recipe, though I don’t have an air fryer, I’d make it in my wok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure love tempura. Thx for the recipe, though I don’t have an air fryer, I’d make it in my wok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How delightful looking and we bet it tastes just as good. We have heard a lot of people talking about air fryers and have been on the fence about getting one. Your article shows another good way to use one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using it for fried chicken, French fries, breaded fish, etc !,

      Delete
  7. I've been wanting to get the air-fryer for long. Once I get mine I will try this tempura recipe. They look delicious and healthy or course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many other things you can do with the sur fryer: fried chicken, French fries, etc.

      Delete
  8. I love Japanese dishes, especially Tempura. Your dish looks delicious. I would love to try sur fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have talked for a long time about buying an air-flier. This recipe made it more interesting. Love "veggies beyond salad" as you often thing of the veggie as something on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the heading and I so believe that vegetables are super healthy and delicious. Tempuras are really tasty, however I usually avoid them as they are deep-fried. But now I guess I can try air-fryer to cook tempura.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great series - looking very much forward to getting further inspiration. However, are the veggies on the first pic smothered in a white sauce? Which one is it? In Japan, I always had Tempura just breaded and deep fried.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since we can't travel either, we have ordered several ingredients over the internet so that we can prepare foreign dishes at home. There is a lot of experimenting, but we have been able to make quite a few dishes that we liked when we were traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a yum recipe. I love vegetables and have tried and enjoyed air fry. Will try your recipe, thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love tempura too and have been indulging in Japanese food as well since I can't travel there. I love making them with sweet potatoes. They are so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tempura is one of my favorites when I go to a sushi place! I never really thought much about what it consist of or where it came from. So, I really enjoyed this article. I love vegetables too! I may have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Tempura looks appetising! I must say that I have also made vegetables my king and queen. I tend to eat more salad in the spring and summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have only eaten Tempuras in restaurants and had never imagined trying to make them at home. Thanks to your recipe, now I might actually try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could live on vegetables! There are so many different kinds and many more ways to prepare them that taste delicious. This is an option I hadn’t thought of. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We just recently got an air fryer ourselves and we LOVE tempura. I'll definitely be trying this out. I had no idea it was that easy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is watering! Thanks for this look at air fryers and the magic they can work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh this all looks lovely. In Greece I used to always get the tempura vegetables as part of the Meze. Not tried making it at home yet but think I need to give this a go now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. never underestimate the magic of an air fryer. We had one at my airbnb in Cape Town and I am so HOOKED. If I lived in one place, it would be a priority among appliances I'll purchase. Never thought to make tempura with it though what an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting bit of history about tempura. I always enjoy them if they are full of fresh vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love my air fryer and cook vegetables in it almost every night! I have never tried making tempura battered veggies tho, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this! It is easy to make and delicious too. Something to try out soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm a big fan of tempura and have been considering getting an air fryer. It would be so handy to be able to make delicious dishes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Plenty of "eat your veggies" inspiration here. Everything looks delicious. I have to admit I'd never heard of an air fryer. Sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This all looks amazing! Love our air fryer too

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment