Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: TRAVEL AWAITS ARTICLES: Five Fabulous Glaciers of Alaska

Friday, June 18, 2021

TRAVEL AWAITS ARTICLES: Five Fabulous Glaciers of Alaska


The full article was published by Travel Awaits on Dec. 20, 2019

The Southwest where we live often experiences a heatwave. During such times, our trips to cold places come to mind. In three separate trips to Alaska, we experienced the cold at five fabulous glaciers which form when more snow falls than melts over time, compacting into ice. And this often occurs in regions least reached by solar heat — near the poles. Here are the glaciers we recommend you explore. It is so easy to get to them!

1. Worthington Glacier In Valdez, Alaska


 Because of a lot of wildfires around Anchorage, we proceeded to Valdez in the southeastern corner of Alaska north of Juneau. As we lost cell signals and our broadband communications, I exclaimed, “Gosh, the glaciers are puny around here! They’re just tiny patches of white.” A few minutes later,  a huge white mountain suddenly appeared on Richardson Highway. It was Worthington Glacier. At almost 6,000 acres, the glacier is part of the Worthington Glacier State Recreation Site and designated as a National Natural Landmark in 1968. My husband excitedly climbed it and brought me a chunk of blue ice to keep in our freezer. 

2. Surprise Glacier In Prince William Sound


The following week, we took the four-hour Glacier Bay Cruise from Whittier, Alaska only 62 road miles southeast of Anchorage. We had to go through a 2.5 mile long tunnel that is shared by alternating one-way auto and railroad traffic. That turned out to be an experience in itself. We rode in a high-speed catamaran with huge picture windows plus extensive outside viewing areas. The cruise took us to Resurrection Bay and the College Fjords to see 26 glaciers up close.

One strikingly blue glacier suddenly appeared as we slowly approached Prince William Sound. It was like a scene before tragedy struck the Titanic. And that’s why it’s called the Surprise Glacier. Many pieces of ice had calved and were floating on the icy waters around us where sea otters were playing. And the crew served us glacial blue margaritas from ice they harvested. This Inside Passage cruise was one of our most memorable  Alaska adventures.

3. Salmon Glacier


On the way back to the lower 48, we drove down the Stewart-Cassiar Highway, also known as Glacier Highway. I grew impatient because I did not see a glimpse of a glacier-topped mountain for a couple of hours — until we turned right to take a peek at the town of Stewart, British Columbia, toward the coast. The bigger surprise, however, is the small town of Hyder, Alaska, with its population of almost a hundred people, only two miles from Stewart’s border. It is Alaska's southernmost tip and home to the fifth largest glacier in North America.

As we drove slowly up the hill, all of 15 miles from downtown Hyder and Stewart, the long glacier slowly made its appearance. When we reached the summit, we saw its entire extent. The pictures do not give it any justice. But the road was dirt/gravel and since it was also rainy that day, it was also very muddy. But there was no other way to get there and we paid the price for the beautiful sight.

4. Exit Glacier In Seward


The following year, we flew to Alaska and rented an RV to camp at other places we had not covered. One of the weekends, we headed off to the town of Seward at the mouth of Kenai Fjords National Park. Eight and a half miles west of the town is the famous Exit Glacier that is part of the huge Harding Ice Fields (which span 500 square miles). It is so named because it has been receding slowly since the earliest recorded terminus in 1815 — the recordings are so marked all along the way—about two miles from the most recent one. I finally walked on this glacial ridge. But it felt like I was inside a freezer so I quickly turned back after the very short photo opportunity.

5. Matanuska Glacier North Of Anchorage, Alaska


On our third trip, we went to see the Matanuska Glacier with my sister and her husband who had also relocated there. From the access at Mile Post 102, we drove through an “unsafe road” to the small cabin office two miles down the valley. There, we paid an entrance fee of $20 and drove another two miles to park close to the glacier. We braved the challenging, muddy, and slippery hike on the ice, using the cleats lent to us by my husband’s daughter. Finally, Matanuska gave me a true glacier walk!At 27 miles long and 4 miles wide, Matanuska Glacier is the largest glacier accessible by car in the U.S. 

You can find many glaciers that are car-accessible, walkable, and photographable in Alaska. Go during the summertime to have unparalleled thrills, escape the heat where you are, but not suffer extreme cold!

FOR THOSE ON MOBILE, SHARE BUTTONS APPEAR WHEN YOU CLICK WEB VERSION AT THE VERY END AFTER COMMENTS.

PREVIOUS POST







































49 comments:

  1. Matanuska, Worthington, Surprise, Exit, and Salmon Glaciers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we did an Alaska cruise, we knew we missed a lot. We saw the Tracy Fjord Glacier but missed all of these great other glaciers. A great reason to head inland and see some of these beauties up close. Love the perspective from up high that makes it look like it is flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we never went on an Akaska cruise from Seattle.

      Delete
  3. As a former but temporary southwesterner (I lived in Tempe, AZ for three years in the mid/late 90s) I've been watching out for news about this terrible heatwave. I'm not surprised you're dreaming of Alaska right now! We've been talking about planning another trip to Alaska sometime, and doing more glacier hikes. There's nothing like it I've ever experienced anywhere - Alaska is such a gorgeous state with so much to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look amazing, but a bit too cold for me. I am happy to live vicariously through your photos and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is an amazing list of Glaciers to be found in Alaska that aren't the typical Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau! I had never even heard of these 5 before, so that is awesome to learn of these great bucket list spots. I think of these 5 I think Surprise Glacier In Prince William Sound looks the coolest (pun intended) to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list of Glaciers in Alaska! I have been wanting to visit and looking at ideas to visit Alaska for a couple years and was looking for some places outside of the main areas like Anchorage. These all look amazing, but I think I would enjoy a boat ride through the Prince William Sounds and seeing all those glaciers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I had no idea that Glaciers formed from just packed snow! Would love to visit Surprise Glacier & Salmon Glacier. Definitely wishing I was here instead of stuck in the FL heat this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to visit Alaska and it is on my bucket list of places to explore some day, I would love to see all of these wonderful glaciers some day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you two have seen plenty of glaciers over the years. It would certainly allow for some cooling memories. I liked hearing that you had the town of Seward all to yourselves. We love when things like this happen, as it allows us to really mingle with the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have not been to Alaska, I wanted to visit on a cruise this year but that won’t be happening. Your images of Worthington Glacier and Prince William Sound are beautiful. A glacier walk on Matanuska Glacier sounds like a once in a lifetime experience to never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot get these on a cruise from Seattle. Road trips are best.

      Delete
  11. It's so hard to imagine that a glacier began the journey to its present location over 10,000 years ago. It's crazy that anyone is even able to calculate that. Good to know that the mass of Matanuska Glacier remains unchanged. I'm ready to petsit my way back to Alaska after reading this article - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss Alaska so much when I read your post. I want to go back there. I saw those glaciers during my Alaska road trip. They are all impressive and gorgeous. I was most impressed by Matanuska Glacier and Worthington Glacier. But I also like Salmon Glacier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know about your 10-day Alaska Itinerary! We have spent three months in Alaska!

      Delete
  13. Ahhhh I often forget that Alaska exists! All this beauty technically in our own country. I’d love to visit all, these look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alaska looks wonderful with different glaciers! Your blog post serves as a guide for me to visit there in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my God this is a dream for me. I have had Alaska on my list for so long and one day I do hope to get there. These glaciers are stunning and would be so amazing to see them up close. I am sure they would have taken thousands of years to be where they are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think some of them are receding...like the Exit Glacier.

      Delete
  16. Those glaciers look amazing up close and a cool way of escaping the heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoying the immense beauty of glaciers is something that will always stay with me from my travels to Alaska. I love the examples you have shared here showing how accessible some of the glaciers can be. I love experiencing glaciers in Alaska, which are just a wonderful sight from both land and water cruising perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...but you can only walk on them from the road!

      Delete
  18. Wow! This is really beautiful. Alaska has always been part of our bucket list and this is one of the reasons why. The Worthington Glacier is just sooo amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw! I'm glad that you were able to experience a real glacier walk. So fun! Alaska is totally on my bucket list. I hope to get there one day - your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this glimpse of the glaciers. I adored seeing them throughout Alaska. It's all changing so fast. Glad you documented it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your article just made me realize I haven't seen a glacier in real life! Worthington Glacier looks so majestic. I can see how humongous it is when compared to the size of your husband there! Salmon Glacier looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We saw a few glaciers in Alaska but none of these on your list. There are all very cool (pardon the pun!). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, these all look so huge! I think glaciers are so unique they have an art to them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great article! Alaska is a very special place. So much beauty there. The blues and whites of glaciers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We were supposed to visit Alaska this year but its such a pity we had to cancel due to the pandemic. Alaska looks gorgeous and thanks for listing out some of the best glaciers. The four-hour Glacier Bay Cruise from Whittier is something I'm going to add to my list right now, I am planning to go to Alaska in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Will love it. We are going again in 2022, ourc4th time!

      Delete
  26. Those indeed are 5 glorious glaciers to visit! How fortunate you are to see such amazing places with gorgeous landscape vistas. Now this might be a cruise I would like to take.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love visiting glaciers. They are so powerful natural forces and I feel so small and human next to them. The Surprise Glacier in Prince William Sound looks very stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment