Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: TRAVEL AWAITS: How to do a Literary Tour of New England

Friday, July 16, 2021

TRAVEL AWAITS: How to do a Literary Tour of New England


The full article was published by Travel Awaits on Jan. 15, 2020.

We camped at the Gateway to Cape Cod RV Campground south of Boston, Massachusetts for three weeks one summer. We used it as a base to see the origins of the American Revolution along Boston’s Freedom Trail and Concord, Massachusetts, 40 minutes from Boston, where the first skirmishes happened. This last visit rounded out our view of American history and showed us the other revolution the literary kind.  

Author's Ridge in Concord, Massachusetts
First Stop: Concord, Massachusetts

My husband's friend who had invited us took us to The Authors Ridge at Concord’s Sleepy Hollow Cemetery where five great American authors rest in peace:  essayist and philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882, The American Scholar, Nature),  philosopher and naturalist Henry David Thoreau (1817-1863, Walden, Civil Disobedience), Romantic novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864, The Scarlet Letter, House of the Seven Gables), educator Amos Bronson Alcott (1799-1888), and his daughter Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888, Little Women).

Old Manse in Concord, Massachusetts

He also took us to see The Old Manse, home of the Emerson family where the four often met. It became the center of their Transcendentalist Movement and they became known as the Concord Quartet who fanned the ideals of individual liberty and equality. They influenced the abolitionist sentiment in the North, inspiring the Civil War. The visit helped me decide to turn my then little journal into the blog that I now publicly share.

Second Stop: Salem, Massachusetts

in front of Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables

We also went to Salem, Massachusetts, 40 minutes from Boston, the site of the infamous 1692 witch trials to see the Witch Museum, the Witch House (a trial judge’s house), and the Trial Memorial. And we visited Nathaniel Hawthorne’s birthplace relocated to a spot near the only living colonial home in North America, the House of the Seven Gables, the inspiration for Hawthorne’s classic novel of the same name. 

Third Stop: Cambridge, Massachusetts

The Longfellow House in Cambridge, Massachusetts

Just 20 minutes west of Boston is Cambridge, Massachusetts, where Harvard, established in 1636, is located. The poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882) whose poem 
Paul Revere’s Ride memorialized what sparked the revolution, served as a professor there. When he retired into full-time writing, he bought and lived in the house George Washington used as his HQ during the start of the American Revolution. The Longfellow House is now a National Historic Site.

Twain House & Stowe Center in Hartford, Connecticut 
Fourth Stop: Hartford, Connecticut


We also made a day trip to Hartford, Connecticut, two and a half hours away.  The famous author Mark Twain (1835-1910, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)  made it his home. It's where he wrote many of his masterpieces but also where, unfortunately, he lost much of his wealth disappear due to poor investments.

The amazing thing is that the Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896) Center also stands there right beside the Mark Twain House on the same small block! They are a generation apart but she helped lay the groundwork for the Civil War with Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Both authors provided scathing looks at entrenched racist attitudes.

Fifth Stop: Derry, New Hampshire

Frost Farm in Derby, New Hampshire

After our stay in Massachusetts, we brought our RV north to Chichester, New Hampshire for some RV repair. We discovered that the home of Robert Frost (1874-1963), called the Frost Farm, is in Derry, New Hampshire, just 40 minutes south. He did not quite make it as a farmer, however, so he relocated to Great Britain until the breakout of WWI. Upon his return, he bought Frost Place, in Franconia, up in the beautiful White Mountains.

In these two homes, he wrote most of his poetry, including the following most famous lines in “Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening.” They vividly express how my husband and I feel when, even if we still have to travel great distances, we pause because we suddenly find unrivaled beauty.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, 

But I have promises to keep, 

And miles to go before I sleep, 

And miles to go before I sleep. 

Walden Pond

Many more authors call the area home — Emily Dickinson, Herman Melville, and even Stephen King, to name a few. Book lovers will love this kind of tour. But it would have been better had we done it during fall when the region blazes in bright autumn colors. Even so, this convinced me to focus on writing as the main preoccupation of my retirement. And I have published two books since!

FOR THOSE ON MOBILE, SHARE BUTTONS APPEAR WHEN YOU CLICK WEB VERSION AT THE VERY END AFTER COMMENTS.

PREVIOUS POST







































47 comments:

  1. This was such a signigicant tour for me. It led me to really focus on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never visited New England before, but after reading this post it definitely is convincing me to want to go! All of the homes are so beautiful and I love all of the greenery. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing this tour! Little women was one of my childhood favorites. I have always been a fan of Mark Twain and recently watched a special on his life. A few years ago I listened to House of the Seven Gables while driving my son to school every day on the other side of the county. And Robert Frost has been one of my favorite poets since 8th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very eell written. interesting to learn more about these authors. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting to travel in New England and do a literary tour. So many great American writers wrote about this area. How great that you were able to feel some of the feelings that the writers described. I am sure it would be even more spectacular with the fall colours changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did it in summer, fall would have been more spectacular!

      Delete
  6. I have done some traveling in New England, but honestly had not even considered making it a literary tour. I'm sure that would add some interesting information and history!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photographs and tour! I have heard New England is full of literary references, and if we ever will be allowed to travel to the US, New England would be a dream destination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip! I haven't been to Concord, Massachusetts yet, but I would like to visit it. Salem and Cambridge are also worth a stop. I don't now New Hampshire as well, but I hope to go for these plases in New England one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love home tours. It’s an interesting view of their life with perspective on what they wrote about. These are great spots to visit. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you get to know why and how they put ideas together.

      Delete
  10. A literary tour of New England would be amazing. I've never been to this part of America and it looks fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love reading and writing, this tour will be awesome!

      Delete
  11. Never been to New England before. Maybe during my next visit to the US. Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables sounds like a book or a movie title :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I did not realize that there is literary related places that we can visit. I have read the works of Emerson and Hawthorne and it would be nice to pay respects and visit The Authors Ridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are waiting on delivery of our first RV and I'm really enjoying getting ideas from your blog. This is a great post for us as I LOVE many of these authors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you write this for me? I love literary tours and have visited many houses of great writers. And since I've always wanted to visit New England, I guess this would be the perfect tour for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to do a literary tour of New England! My daughter and I were in CT last December and I'd hoped to see the Mark Twain House, but it was still closed due to COVID. It's open now. I need to go back -- and then extend my travels to these other author's homes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this interesting tour of the literary value found in Salem. My family has a historical tie to this city, as one of my ancestors was hung for being a witch. Perhaps some day we will make a visit for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing variety of homes and authors you have visited on this literary tour, thanks for talking us there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I once did a literary tour in Bath, England but would love to do one in New England and write just like Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an engaging itinerary to visit the lives of some of our most prolific authors. It's another kind of history tour. The Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in Concord, Massachusetts, is extra appealing because several are in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No shortage of opportunities when doing a literary tour of New England. I really enjoyed visiting House of the Seven Gables in Salem. Thanks for the tips on other spots to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading and learning bout your tour here. It is interesting to imagine the circumstances under which those authors wrote such moving and memorable works. It would be hard for the average person to truly understand their lives, influences and circumstances leading up to their literary inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow -This trip sounds so interesting! I really enjoyed reading your New England tour,and this is so useful.Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG goals! I'm saving this for later because I'm a literary addict and love road trips. This is such an awesome itinerary Carolina <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great guide. I've never thought of doing a literary tour. But this definitely inspired me to do one in the future. Thanks for this article, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd love to do this literary tour of New England as I grew up reading so many of the authors mentioned. It would be especially beautiful in the fall with all the leaves changing as there's quite a canopy of trees in each of your photos

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have traveled in New England through many of these places, but not for a literary tour. It is great that many of these writers have inspired you. I simply love that quote by Robert Frost 'the woods are lovely dark and deep.....' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like such a great tour to do. I’d head straight to the twain household first. Just to be in the homes where they were inspired and penned their best works.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment