Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: 10 Reasons to See the Desert in Bloom

Thursday, May 9, 2019

10 Reasons to See the Desert in Bloom


When I saw the Northeast in autumn for the very first time, I fell madly in love. From that time on, I couldn’t stop dreaming about living with those trees that paint the skies when they turn to golds, reds, yellows, and oranges. But being originally from the tropics, I knew it would be foolish. I would not be able to survive the height of winter in those places. Therein lies the quandary.

Fortunately, RVing full time for eight years brought us to the Arizona desert. Deserts are described as barren, desolate, waterless, and without vegetation. It is considered dull and uninteresting, unlivable due to extreme heat or cold. People, therefore, wonder how many can stand to live in Phoenix, Arizona,  Well, let me tell you that if spring and fall are the best seasons to visit (or live) in the Northeast, they are also in the Southwest. And, if the winter is the bane of the former, summer is it in the latter. That leads me to the crux of this post: Springtime is the best time to experience the desert. The following are the 10 reasons why.

If the trees turn multi-hued in the New England fall, trees turn yellow in the desert spring. (Disclosure: yellow is my favorite color) The Palo Verdes bloom with abandon and their tiny blossoms are yellow. The name Palo Verde literally translated means “green stick” in Spanish. All parts of the tree from the leaves to the branches, limbs, and trunk are green. There are two native Arizona Palo Verdes: the Foothills Palo Verde and the Blue Palo Verde. April is the blooming period for both. The first to bloom in April is the Blue Palo Verdes. Two weeks later, the Foothills follow.  The Mexican Palo Verdes bloom till August.

Flowers carpet the valleys and hillsides in the desert spring. Winter has been especially wet and cold this year. As a matter of fact, some snow collected in the desert valleys, more at the hill and mountain tops. Larger snow melts are now watering the landscapes. Yes, water abounds at this time in the desert, especially this year when winter produced so much melts. It is time to see the desert in bloom!


Because of the trees and the flowers, color reigns in the desert in spring. It is truly the best time to visit. Besides, temperatures in the desert are ideal at this time. Highs are in the 80-90s, lows in the 45-75s. It is fresh, chilly air to wake up to in the mornings, perfect for your hot coffee, chocolate or tea. And the nights of 60s-70s are cozy for indoor family activities or for night outs in style and comfort.

Daytime, on the other hand, is in the perfectly enjoyable 70-80s, except for June when it gets to the balmy ’90s later in the month. For this reason, markets come alive at this time in the desert. There will always be a farmers’ market to go to, every day of the week. Festivals also sprout, from art and music to film and everything in between. Even sports teams choose springtime in the desert to train. Come to see your favorite ballplayers from the Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Royals, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Milwaukee Brewers, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners, and Texas Rangers. What a bonus!

The Phoenix Metropolitan Area is such a paradise in spring for all these reasons. In fact, it is also good in the fall. Winter can be a little bit chilly so we go farther south to Mexico. And the heat of summer, though no worse than the humid heat of the Midwest drives us to visit our children who all live in great summer places. As you can see, we have even decided to settle in the Phoenix area. But this spring, come and see the desert in magnificent bloom and enjoy the other bonuses.

69 comments:

  1. Yes, .this is Carol favorite time here, all the flowers and greenery, but especially the yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours and blooms of the Arizona desert in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attractive part of content. I simply stumbled upon your site
    and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing in your augment or even I fulfillment you get admission to consistently quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having read this I thought it was really enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put
    this information together. I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and leaving comments.

    But so what, it was still worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spring. The colours are so bright. I never think of the desert as being colourful but it sounds wonderful. Can't wait for summer after this past winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved watching the desert bloom seasons. From the first wormwood to blossom to the final Saguaro flower before the heat of summer really set in. It took me a while to wrap my midwest seasons around the new life I was seeing, but once I did, it was like a whole new world opened up. If you haven't seen the Queen of the Night Cirrus bloom I would highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in Phoenix for a few months while I was working there but it was from July to November. So hello summer and monsoon season. I haven't been there in the spring, but I love the idea of cooler temps (especially cold mornings-I love the cold) and pretty desert blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to see that the Phoenix area desert erupts into wildflowers in the spring. We have many further out west, especially this year, but not the variety of cactus that you have. Wonderful phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I had no idea there were so many flowers. It is beautiful. Arizona desert is now on my list. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having read this I believed it was really informative.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this
    article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and posting
    comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog
    and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog
    posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss
    feed and I hope you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can totally appreciate why the deserts in bloom are a draw, great pictures! Its hard to believe that a desert can become so alive with color - but you demystify that who idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay in Phoenix spring and fall to get the best from the desert!

      Delete
  13. I was just in Tempe, Arizona, and saw all the Palo Verde trees in full, glorious bloom. The yellow blossoms against the green tree bark was really striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why my favorite months is April. That's when they peak!

      Delete
  14. I love when we have massive winter rains and the dessert blooms. I make a point to go out several times to enjoy it, and this year was incredible. You have inspired me to drive over to Phoenix for the next super bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't like winter's like that but I love the after glow of the spring!

      Delete
  15. Love the contradiction of the desert blooming. Haven't had the privilege of seeing this myself, but any blooming period is inspirational. The colors and sense of renewal is good for the soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always wanted to visit popular desert tourist areas. Deserts have so much to offer and the landscape is so different that I love it. I've driven past Arizona a few times, but need to make a stop next time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I certainly always thought of deserts as barren. But seeing the photos of the desert in bloom have changed my mind. Good to know that spring is the best time to visit. Need to plan a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I certainly always thought of deserts as barren. But seeing the photos of the desert in bloom have changed my mind. Good to know that spring is the best time to visit. Need to plan a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just like the helpful information you supply to your articles.
    I'll bookmark your blog and test once more here
    frequently. I am slightly certain I'll learn many
    new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the following!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was in the Mojave desert last month and due to the snowfall they said that the desert is much more green than it is normally. There were some bursts of yellow too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. never need more than one reason to see the desert in bloom ... it is simply a spectacular, fleeting, colorful explosion that once seen, never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing more beautiful than the desert when it is in bloom. We've loved being in Arizona to see trees and cactus in full dress!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My parents spend their winters in phoenix and talk about oing to spring training. The desert in bloom is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What gorgeous blooms, such a treat for those visiting to see the desert come alive like that. I’ve yet to make it to spring training, might have to add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Despite my allergies, I still love seeing beautiful blooming flowers. Thanks for sharing the desert in bloom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are
    just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you've acquired
    here, certainly like what you're stating and the way in which you say it.

    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
    I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really
    a wonderful web site.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I blog quite often and I seriously appreciate your content.
    This article has really peaked my interest. I will take a note
    of your site and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I opted in for your Feed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My cousin and his wife live in Scottsdale during the winter and said this was the first year they had seen the desert bloom. I can only imagine how beautiful it is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is prettier this year but it blooms every year...especially the yellow trees!

      Delete
  29. Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after looking at a few of the posts I realized it's new to me.

    Nonetheless, I'm certainly pleased I discovered it and
    I'll be book-marking it and checking back regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always love spring flowers. They must be quite something when they bloom in the desert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. I always stay here in spring unless I have to. I travel winter and summer!

      Delete
  31. We're from the Northeast and love both the Fall and Spring colors. Spring in the desert looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The desert looks magical in the spring! Love the flowering yellow flowers and the flowering cacti. It all looks so magical.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes the desert bloom is stunning. I live in Socal and thanks to all the rain the hiking trails are full of colorful yellow wildflowers and it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The desert bloom is certainly gorgeous and a great time to visit. I live in SOcal and thanks to all the recent rains have been happily able to hike through endless fields of colorful flowers. A real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm not much of a desert gal, I'll admit. However, seeing a desert in bloom would be gorgeous! Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've longed to see the deset in bloom. How spectacular to view Mother Nature in all her glory. It's not my favorite type of destination, but too see all that color would be a wonderful draw!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I must say that this is not what I would expect from the desert but your visuals have completely changed my opinion. The blooms in the desert simply are s wonder of nature and the colours are so bright and stand out. I watched a tv series of the first rains in the desert and how it brings life to it and this post is a living g example if that Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I must say that this is not what I would expect from the desert but your visuals have completely changed my opinion. The blooms in the desert simply are s wonder of nature and the colours are so bright and stand out. I watched a tv series of the first rains in the desert and how it brings life to it and this post is a living g example if that Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I must say that this is not what I would expect from the desert but your visuals have completely changed my opinion. The blooms in the desert simply are s wonder of nature and the colours are so bright and stand out. I watched a tv series of the first rains in the desert and how it brings life to it and this post is a living g example if that Thanks for sharing. Amar Singh

    ReplyDelete
  40. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog
    posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your feed
    and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment