Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: FINDING A LIFETIME PARTNER: 10 LESSONS Part 1

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

FINDING A LIFETIME PARTNER: 10 LESSONS Part 1

 

This was first published in this blog last Feb. 26, 2021. I have updated it here.

Valentine’s is just a couple of weeks from now. I remember the many years I suffered without a Valentine. And then there were also the years when I technically had one but didn’t feel special at all. In 2004, I gave up my career to be close to my children who had migrated to North America. I also had another hidden goal: Find a lifetime partner.

At the young age of 60, I finally did! It was better late than never, and I realized there were significant lessons I learned along the way. This Part 1 is for the five things we generally know but fail to execute well. Part 2 will be about five new ways that I stumbled upon. Part 3 will be a more detailed discussion of “How to Look For and Choose Him.”     

Number 1: Give yourself the time to make a proper choice.

I began life as a nerd. My IQ (intelligence quotient) developed but my EQ (emotional quotient) didn’t. I had a good rationalization: I was focused on getting out of the slums of Manila through good education and hard work. Besides I thought I was ugly. Then, out of nowhere, a smart engineering UP student took notice of me. He drove a car on campus, his family owned a taxi fleet, and I could flag one anytime, anywhere. Getting out of poverty seemed almost at hand!

He took me to places I never thought I could be. Every day he picked me up and brought me home, took me to lunch, and walked me from class to class. My schoolmates said his degree was a BS in Mathematics major in Carol Esguerra. When I began to work, he continued the practice. My officemates called him Jaworski, a legendary guard in Philippine basketball. No other guy had a chance.

Number 2: Don’t Marry for the Wrong Reason

A year after I graduated, he proposed with a dazzling one-carat diamond ring and matching half-carat earrings. My father was beaming with pride that his second daughter was marrying up. We had a lavish reception at a well-known restaurant, unlike my older sister whose celebration was held at her groom’s house.

It was only after the second of our three children that he finally graduated from UP, after fifteen years. I was too smitten to notice that his family may have had the money, but he didn’t have the kind of drive that I had. I began to worry about our future and worked harder while he turned to Roses, Lilies, and Daisies.

After almost ten years, I decided that the life of a stressed single parent would be better. I focused on my career, getting more degrees, acquiring more assets, and collecting more accolades, leaving my children in the care of nannies, cooks, and drivers. It was a frenzied search for financial security. But it was a very lonely life.

Number 3: Stay committed to a lasting marriage.

This lesson I did not learn until much later. My instinct had been for flight, instead of fight. It would be on my third chance that I learned to calm down and compromise. I finally realized that there was no need to withdraw every time one encounters a difficulty because staying offered much bigger rewards. One of the biggest of them is to have a complete family. Christmas, after I left my marriage, was never again as happy until very much later.

Perhaps I should have worked with my ex-husband more. I tried but he did not come to the counseling sessions I arranged. I should have tried harder. I stopped working for two years and took up an MBA with him. But when I got better grades submitting almost the same work, that fell apart, too. But still, “What if?”

Number 4: Recapture what attracted you to each other in the first place.

Children change our perspective about life. I became focused on income generation and forgot about union preservation. He often said I may be studious, but he had native intelligence. True. I should have returned to the basic reason I was attracted to him in the first place, and I don’t mean the money; it was the long talks under the moonlit sky. But I no longer had time for that.

Number 5: Find one passion you can share.

This is the one thing that made my third try successful and my first one doomed.  My husband and I have one thing that we solidly share. Underneath we had the same travelers’ souls. RVing became an extended honeymoon when every scenic sight became not just a marvel but also, at times, a coping mechanism. And it continued as we conquered city after city, continent after continent. Travel nurtured both of us and gave us the spices to fuse the disparate flavors.

Maybe I should have spent the time in coffee talks and mahjong tables with the father of my children. His passion was the easy life. Unfortunately, it wasn’t mine.

Next week: 5 New Lessons I Stumbled Upon

PREVIOUS POST

4 Prerequisites and 4 Parts of a Happy Retirement






























78 comments:

  1. Great post. Makes sense to cast the net wide, exactly. I never understand people who complain about being single and they're looking for a redhead aged 30 to 35 with a professional background who is into classical music, fine dining, and tennis, or sth haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list of things to do, even though I am not 70 I still love this list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and inspiring. I like your statement "I finally succeeded at the young age of 60". I can relate to working so hard that I missed out on life and find it hard to relax. Looking forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent article, well written. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did smile a bit when I saw “turn it into a project”. As a normally very organized and logical person, that advice would resonate. However I met my husband when I was absolutely not looking for love. So he was the result of my project plan to get my pilot’s license! Linda (LD Holland)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was tremendous luck. I was 54 and had been single for 20 years.

      Delete
  6. This is such a great post. I love learning more about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A woman after my own heart. I met my second husband on Match, and although we are definitely not perfect people, we really make a great couple. We have been together 15 years now, through many traumatic events, and have survived together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post! I am happy for you! I am married to my HS sweetheart for 18 years. You have shared good tips. Keep traveling and exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy reading this. I remember your story about born and growing up in the slum and how your mother was a strong figure. Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and inspiring posts,after reading your post only one thing came to my mind,never say never. When the things are bad, we accept all our suffering quietly and believe this is it, closing on the doors in the process. But now I realise this is the most stupid thing one can do to self. Just keep walking miracles do happen in life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yet another inspiring post that brought a smile to my face- it's always a joy to read your lovely travel stories and so glad you found your perfect partner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice all around! I love how you said your sister advertised you on Match! I'm glad you were able to figure out what you did and didn't want, and make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geesh. I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for part 2!! I love that you left guy #2 to do what your heart called you to do and am super impressed that you quit smoking just like that! I am 53 and would love to retire asap and cast the net wide, this is inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's a lot of lessons to be learned in live and it's fascinating to read through those you've counted here. I agree with casting the net and marrying for the right reasons, absolutely. Looking forward to a chance to read part 2 and know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved reading about your story and lessons learned. Great advice! Looking forward to reading the next 5 tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting - and such an inspiration. You are truly proving that it's never too late to persue your dream and age is definitely just a number.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband and I also met on Match.com. We will celebrate our 15th anniversary this year! I have expanded his travel horizons, for sure... Glad he is willing and able to travel! Thanks for sharing your story. I'll watch for part two!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your love story is a true inspiration. Letting the pressure go and just going with the flow definitely made the difference. Thanks for sharing this intimate story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know you said you wound it down, but it appears that you never fully stopped contributing professionally during your search for love and that's kind of inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I never did. Boredom isn't part of my vocabulary. And there's just too much we were given,bit would be a waste not to make use of all of it!

      Delete
  20. A lovely and inspiring post indeed! It's never too late to love and its never too late to be married to someone you love! Glad you found your Mr.Right.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Totally agree with #4 especially! With lockdown forcing us to get to know and meet people online before meeting them it is tough, especially when something you can only learn whilst in-person can transform your whole outlook on them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Exciting! Looking forward to the next instalment...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these memoir type posts. I can tell you've lived an amazing and interesting life and I believe you have a lot of wisdom and lessons to share. And unfortunately I agree that long distance doesn't show the whole person. You need to know them before hand, and then transition to long distance if needed for it to work I feel. Excited for the next part!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking forward to reading your next post, this was absolutely heartwarming

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fascinating background and life lessons in finding your life partner and the ups and downs in this process, you have led a difficult and interesting life

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thx for this insightful post, Carol. I';m looking forward to reading the next instalment and to following your guidance in finding my next life partner.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thx for this insightful post, Carol. I'm looking forward to reading the next instalment and to following your guidance in finding my next life partner. (I hope this comment didn't go thru twice. I always have trouble posting on your site.)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always fun to read a good romance story!! (especially with a happy ending).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your story is inspiring and touching. I agree with the lessons Give yourself the chance to make a proper choice and Don’t marry for the wrong reason.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved reading this so much. I want to thank you for sharing your experiences. Lessons like these can only be shared when you've lived them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the section on staying committed to a lasting marriage. Marriage is NOT easy, no matter how much you love each other. It takes a boatload of work to make it last.

    ReplyDelete
  32. been married for 37 years and still going loved reading your post was very giving of ideas thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am married for 30 plus years and still counting. I resonate with the idea that communication is key. It's incredible how sharing dreams, expectations, and even the little details can strengthen the bond on our journey. Cheers to more travels.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This all rings very true to me. I learned the hard way that marrying for the wrong reasons makes for a very hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your post about finding a lifetime travel partner is a thoughtful and insightful guide for those seeking companionship in their adventures. The 10 qualities you highlight, from shared interests to adaptability, provide valuable criteria for finding the right travel partner. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences – it's a great resource for individuals looking to share their journeys with a compatible companion. Keep up the excellent work in promoting the joys of travel! 🌍👫🌟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about finding not just the lufetime travel partner. Also not about 10 qualities but 10 lessons.

      Delete
  36. Great tips & you two are adorable together! I am so happy you were able to find someone to share your life with and I enjoy seeing the journeys you two go on together here on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love what you said about marrying for the wrong reasons, you're absolutely right! It is almost always the wrong reason like attachments, insecurities, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your post is very inspiring. I do agree with you that it's pure bliss when you have finally found the love of your life. And yes, age doesn't matter when you are in love with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are on point! I am only married for 11 years and only maintain romantic relationship with love of my life for about 14 now. I double taking time to find your person and shared interests. In short I do think it’s crucial to have a best friend in you spouse. Lyosha

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great post! It is easier to find a partner but it takes hard work and willingness to stay together for lifetime. And age doesn't matter when you are in love and are committed to your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the idea of finding one passion you can share. Be yourselves but don't forget to ignite sparks of passion together.

    ReplyDelete
  42. As someone who has been married for almost 30 years, I totally agree with all of this. Such sage wisdom!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment