Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Visiting Family and Making More Discoveries

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Visiting Family and Making More Discoveries


Living in this big beautiful country allows us to settle where there are opportunities. Bill’s children live in Idaho, Colorado, and Alaska. My eldest daughter lives in California and a sister used to make Alaska her home. Actually, another daughter lives in Canada and the youngest lives in Australia. After all, it is also a big beautiful world! Having family all over allows us to visit many places and make more discoveries.

Denver, Colorado

Recently, we went to the high school graduation of Bill’s granddaughter Cassie in Denver, Colorado. It was an inspiring ceremony, there were joyous photo-ops, and lots of celebratory meals afterward. This granddaughter loves to visit different places, ever expanding her view of the world. We had cold May days with showers, however, so we went to the Butterfly Pavilion instead of the Wild Animal Sanctuary.

Rosie, the tarantula


my first ever butterfly photos
After registering, I found out I had the opportunity to hold a tarantula on my palm! Her name is Rosie and we learned how gentle these arachnids really are. Then we were led to the Pavilion. I was at first not sure if I would enjoy the trip. I thought butterflies, fleeting from one flower to the next, would be very difficult to photograph. Judge for yourselves how much fun I actually had. I was engrossed following them on their flights. Soon I became selective about the backgrounds, the flower, the leaf, or the ground, where they chose to settle, to provide great contrasts in colors.

This was a short trip since we had to go to the next family obligation. But, the surprise of surprises, the night before we left, it snowed…in late May! So we woke up to beautiful winter scenes right at the home of Bill’s daughter. The scenes at the backyard and in front were so wintry wonderful. And all throughout our trip down Colorado and even part of New Mexico, I could not put my camera down and even braved opening the windows to chilly air so I could capture the winter scenes better.

winter scene in May

Show Low, Arizona

When we reached Show Low, Arizona (to where my sister had transferred from Anchorage, Alaska), we found out that it also snowed there the day before. The town’s elevation is close to 6,500 feet…even higher than Denver at 5.280 feet. We were there for the housewarming of her home, now only three hours from our Phoenix home. It has natural wood siding, high vaulted wood beam ceiling, and huge windows all around with a large deck looking out to the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest.

the forest from the deck

When all the cooking and entertaining was done, we set out for a pretty little hike around the Woodland Water Reservoir of the towns of Show Low,-Pinetop, and Lakeside. With an area of 18 acres and a depth of 20 feet, it was not even a mile of a trail but it was an easy and comfortable hike as the temperature had climbed up to the low 60s. There was even a covered bridge, there were people doing trout fishing with friends and family and children were frolicking in the playgrounds.

Woodland Water Reservois

We stopped at the Saturday Farmer's Market on the way home. And there we all went our individual ways to taste the food that was offered: Schreiner’s (Phoenix’s favorite and ours) sausages, spicy lasagna, and hearty crunchy tacos. But what I was surprised about was that there was a kiosk selling CBD oil-infused soaps (very expensive though). I was surprised because I thought marijuana use is illegal in Arizona. Upon further research, I found out that medical marijuana has been legal in the state since 2018. Bill brought home bottles of green chile pepper jam, blackberry jam, and Asian sweet-hot dipping sauce. They are all yummy!

at Show Low's Saturday Market

The next day, we were already going back to Phoenix when my sister mentioned that Show Low has a Trump Store! Of course, we wanted to go…Trump is quite a character. It was the former headquarters of the Trump campaign in Navajo County. The enthusiastic owners converted it into the “only Trump Store in the country.” I bought this Adorable Deplorable tank top for a party and Bill bought a Trump Inaugural Mug for a friend. Also on display are four personal letters from the WH.

The Trump Store

Having the family all over the country (and the world) gives us lots of perks. Since we visit them, not just once but many times, we explore deep in the areas where they live. Each time we make new and exciting discoveries.

For mobiles, please click "View Web Version" at the end of the post, past the comments, and share buttons will appear.

Click this if you want to pin this image




















Click this if you want to Pin this image 

                                                                                               


















Click here if you want to share this image

58 comments:

  1. Our families may be all over the country (or the world). We visit them not just once, but many times. EAch time, we explore more deeply and discover more places to see or things to do. Here are some from Denver, Colorado and Show Low, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how so much attempt you put to create this kind of great informative web site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phillip Island is only 1.5 hrs from Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol. We’ve had some truly wonderful experiences while visiting friends & family in different parts of the country. It’s cool seeing things via their perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what makes the difference! Their perspective. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Everything is very open with a clear description of
    the challenges. It was really informative. Your website is
    very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll be visiting friends in Bulgaria and Australia this fall. It can definitely enhance travel when you know a local. It looks like you had some beautiful scenery on your most recent trip -- minus the Trump store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may like to look at tarantulas at a distance (or behind glass) but I don't think I could bear to have one in my hand. Having a spread out family is good incentive to travel the country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tarantula looks really scary but the butterflies are beautiful. Such great luck to have snow during your visit, even if it was in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! You are very brave to hold that giant tarantula in your hand! I would freak out!!! - kam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in New Orleans we have an Insectarium and you can also hang out with butterflies, eat bugs, and see tons of insects and spiders. But I don't think they let you hold a tarantula like the Butterfly Pavilion did in Denver. When we go there next month, I may have to head over to the Butterfly Pavilion just to try that.
    As for Show Low, what a beautiful place. Love the pics you took of the area. Arizona always amazes me how pretty it is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss traveling to big family reunions so you were lucky in that. Nice that your sister lives closer to you. Can't say that visiting a Trump anything is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a lovely family "tour" vacation. I, however, wouldn't be able to do the spider. Nope! Too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love visiting family as a way to slot in a cheap holiday. The benefits are many, like having locals show you around to the good spots that are off the tourist trail. Looks like you got to experience heaps - even a tarantula!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're enjoying time in Colorado. It's good to know this butterfly place as I love butterflies. We also have family in Denver but never been there yet and it's one of my top lists in visiting the country! Thanks for sharing and Happy Travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Denver. Have seen many places there and written about each one!

      Delete
  15. You see a place completely differently when you are visiting family or friends - it’s more of an opportunity to live like a local. So it must be great to have family in so many places!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not suffering from Arachnophobia per se, but I'm not too sure whether I have the guts to actually pet Rosie in that case. So scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had a wonderful trip. You held tarantula in your hand.I would never do that. I hate insects.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So good that you get to visit different parts of the world to visit your dear ones. :)
    Snowing in May is definitely surprising... connecting it to global warming. Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eep! I am not sure if I'd have been brave enough to hold Rosie!

    Still, it is awesome that you get to explore so many places while you visit family! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting read.I also have family all over. My parents are originally from Hong Kong although I haven't been there since 2007. My brother is working there now so no excuses! I also have family in Aruba (where I was born!) Definitely need to visit them again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great that you get to travel around so much and see the family.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my biggest reasons to travel. The other is that I have a great husband to travel with.

      Delete
  22. So brave of you to hold Rosie! I don't think I could ever hahaa. The butterflies are beautiful though and you did a great first try photographing them! All the food at the Farmer's Market sounds to die for and I'm getting hungry now. You're totally right that having family all over the country gives you plenty of perks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lucky for me! Live Rosie and those butterflies. And always favorites: market foods!

      Delete
  23. I love that there is a Trump store - how unique! All of the locations look absolutely beautiful and I love that you were able to visit multiple places during the same trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lucky to have family spread around the country and the world!

      Delete
  24. There's no way I would have touched that tarantula! But good for you for giving it a try. I, too, like traveling to see different members of our family. It gives me an excuse to see and explore different areas but still spend quality time with family. Just last weekend we were in central CA for a graduation, and I got to see Carnel-by-the-Sea for the first time. Next weekend, we're going to Utah for a family wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bugs! Big bugs! We have friends and family across the country which always gives us a reason to go someplace new especially if we can combine visits as you did. Need to get to the southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I shall say hello to Rosie from afar! I love snow so really liked the photo of the winter scene. Trump store! Wow! what will they think of next! I think this store does not require any publicity. haha

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're a brave and adventurous person in many ways and holding a tarantula is even further proof of that!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's nice to have various destinations where you can visit family. For us, we have kids in a couple cities around the U.S. Of course, neither of them live in locations with spiders quite so large.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The butterflies are gorgeous but l would not be brave holding a tarantula. It's wonderful having family and friends spread out. I love visiting and traveling in general. Here's to more wonderful travels!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You do get around! Visiting family does provide the opportunity to get to know a place in depth. Because I visit so regularly, I felt like a New Yorker when my daughter was visiting there. Now she lives in San Antonio and I am becoming an expert on the pleasures of that town. But I won't go so far as to hold a tarantula!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Am all for those fluttering insects but a tarantula does put me off. It looks creepy and am in awe of you holding it. However, loved reading the account of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I laughed at the enterprising spirit of the Trump/Pence store when I saw your FB post and again when I read this! I would pass on the tarantula. . .great photo though!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like you had some fun times in Colorado and Arizona. The upside to having family not living nearby is that you get to travel to visit them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening.
    I appreciate you taking the time and effort
    to put this short article together. I once again find myself spending way too much
    time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was
    still worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment