Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: TRAVEL AWAITS: Six Unique Dining Experiences In and Around Calgary

Friday, July 15, 2022

TRAVEL AWAITS: Six Unique Dining Experiences In and Around Calgary

 

The full article first appeared in Travel Awaits on Dec. 7, 2021.

I previously wrote about dining experiences to celebrate significant occasions around Arizona. I considered them unique because they were not only fine dining but had a special ambiance. We visit my children a lot so we have also collected such experiences in Calgary, Alberta where my second daughter lives. Later I will also share those I found in San Francisco and Melbourne where two other daughters make a home.

River Café on Prince Island in the Middle of Bow River, Calgary


Calgary reopened right before our 13th anniversary and we hurried to go because we had missed our family there for two years. Luckily, we found
River Cafe in the middle of Prince Island on the Bow River next to downtown Calgary. You could not drive there; the only way to reach it was to walk. Fortunately, we started from the southern Bow River Pathway at the end of the beautiful Peace Bridge. And that takes you all the way to a park concession building in the middle of the lovely Prince Island Park.

It was an amazing setting and the menu was upscale, composed of dishes made from fine locally sourced vegetables, meats, and seafood. My husband had fire-grilled Springbank bison striploin cooked medium rare accompanied by grilled Sudo Farms baby cabbage, wilted Ark Farms Swiss chard, and juicy Saskatoon berry jus gras. I chose the Haida Gwaii halibut with flavorful Canadian dashi, spongy shiitake mushrooms, and Sudo Farms wilted bok choy oozing with scallion oil. And the sweetened old-fashioned rice pudding was a great finish.

Afternoon Tea at the Prince of Wales, Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta


During our lone weekend, we also camped at
Waterton Lakes National Park, two and a half hours from the city. Its upper Waterton Lake lies partly in the US and that is why it is partnered with Glacier National Park as an International Peace Park. And we made sure we experienced the Afternoon Tea at the colorful Prince of Wales Hotel perched atop a bluff in the middle of the park.

It could have been just the same as other ones we had tried like “the most expensive” at the Ritz-Carlton in London and “the best in the world” at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia. But what made this one different is that there were special treats for the little ones. Of course, they do not care for fruit scones with clotted cream or delicate finger sandwiches of salmon or crispy cucumber. They were given small plates of fine little chicken nuggets, small brownie bites, and craft flowers fashioned with sweets.

Devonian Gardens Inside the CORE Shopping Center, Downtown Calgary


When we got back to the city, my daughter took me to the
CORE Shopping Center on 7 Ave SW in downtown Calgary. Imagine my delight when I discovered The Devonian Gardens inside! It’s a one-hectare botanical garden and urban oasis on the fourth floor, with at least 500 trees, 50 plant varieties, a living wall, several fountains, a few fish ponds, and a playground for kids.  

And the Food Court is wisely situated right next to it. So we all ordered Pad Thai for under CA$7 (US$5) at her favorite Thai kiosk and happily brought along our little noodle baskets and chopsticks to an empty nook at the center of all the busy-ness. We had an inexpensive delectable lunch amid the Garden’s greens.


Sky 360 at the Calgary Tower, Downtown Calgary

Also in downtown Calgary, no one will miss the iconic city landmark called the Calgary Tower. As a rule, we thought such places emphasize location and view, but do not necessarily have great food. However, my daughter gifted us with a dinner for two at the Tower’s Sky 360 for another anniversary.  We were happily surprised to find that our hypothesis was not correct. The food upheld the Alberta tradition of great beef, grilled to the exact doneness, with just a little pink for me.

And the sweeping 360-degree views of the city contributed to making our anniversary special. After this positive experience, we also tried The Loupe Lounge in Seattle’s Space Needle and The Top of the World Restaurant at the STRAT Hotel in Las Vegas. I also learned not to leave my drink on the ledge because I did not want to wait for the floor to turn 360 degrees before I could take the next sip!

Lakeview Lounge, Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise (headline photo)


A few years ago, my husband drove me to
Lake Louise, that postcard-pretty place about 30 minutes from Banff and two hours from my daughter’s home. I had been there twice before, once in late spring so the glacier was still in its full glory and at another time during summer when it was not so impressive. This time he led me to the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise where he had reserved a table at the Lakeview Lounge. I thought that the place was way too expensive for us. But, as we sat in front of a huge picture window looking out to the perfect “Lake Louise” scene for a Mother’s Day lunch, the basic burger I ordered tasted like the premium steak for the Queen! 

Rundle Lounge, Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel


After lunch, we checked in at the
Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel where my children had gifted me a suite. The hotel is a large, castle-like building built in 1888 during the time of railway tourism. For dinner, my husband had reservations at the elegant Rundle Lounge. We again had the famed Alberta beef as we shared the Prairie Heritage house dry-aged New York striploin accompanied by succulent Canadian lobster tails in garlic butter. And the views were again spectacular from the wide balcony off our table. The hotel is set off on its own in a wooded area so we looked out to the Bow River tumbling over a magical cliff-like rise.  

FOR THOSE ON MOBILE, SHARE BUTTONS APPEAR WHEN YOU CLICK WEB VERSION AT THE VERY END AFTER COMMENTS.

PREVIOUS POST 

My 7 Favorite Stops from California to Montana on I-15


 

30 comments:

  1. River Cafe, Prince of Wales, Devornian Gardens, Lakeview Lounge, Rundle Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to dine and stay upscale at luxury places on occasion and these are quite the special treats to visiting these Iconoc places in Canada which I'm sure is at premium prices for these lodging accommodations and venues. Love all your fantastic recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful world we live in. Thank you Carol and Bill For describing and photo Shooting all these good experiencing you gave us. May our Good Lord God bless and keep you two. In Jesus Name we all pray. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calgary is on my bucket list, so that I will use your great tips for my trip. It's an exciting and beneficial article. For sure, I would love to visit River Café on Prince Island in the Middle of Bow River. It looks stunning. I also love the idea of drinking afternoon tea at the Prince of Wales, in Waterton Lakes National Park. Sky 360 at the Calgary Tower is a must-stop as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I love about traveling is the chance to try a variety of dining venues. I have to say, these Calgary dining experiences give good reason for a road trip! For a special treat, I would love to have dinner at the Tower’s Sky 360. It's so good to know the food is on par with the view! And I would definitely order the steak and lobster tail at Prairie Heritage - pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing recommendations for dining around Calgary. It is always a pleasure to try the local cuisine when traveling. Having lunch at those Devonian gardens looks pretty enticing and a dinner at the Sky 360 tower with those amazing views looks like something I should not skip when I visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choices. Save in one and splurge in the otger!

      Delete
  7. I really love those restaurants with the 360 views. While I've never been to that one, my husband and I really enjoyed our view while eating at the top of the Stratosphere tower in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lakeview Lounge at Lake Louise sounds wonderful. I would love to visit this area one day. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to visit Calgary! Just seems there is so many interesting places to visit :) Sky 360 at the Calgary Tower seems like such a cool place to have dinner and I loved to read that the food was good too (because as you say at these places the food is always mediocre) so a good find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at Waterton a couple weeks ago and did not do the afternoon teat at Prince of Wales Hotel. I loved the area and was shocked by how windy it is. I did have the afternoon teat at Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and it was an amazing experience. Such great memories of this gorgeous area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It us really windy. That is why Prince of Wales was a treat. You see the views from floor-to-ceiling glass windows.

      Delete
  11. Calgary surely seems like a cool place to explore. I know I will be directly heading to Calgary Tower and Lakeview Lounge as I always look for viewpoints during my visit to a new place. Nicely captured pictures!\

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, isn't it fun to find great restaurants when you travel? Even when you're visiting family and they can prepare meals for you, it's still nice to eat out and discover local cuisine. I especially liked the sound of the Lakeview Lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love the Devonian Gardens. We actually have a similar one here in the Philippines and it's one of my favorite places to dine in. I believe the concept is just brilliant. It also has a food court situated nearby and we get to enjoy so many choices because of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Which one in the Philippines? Is it as big?

      Delete
  14. Being a foodie I always love to know about the best places to eat when in a city or town. These are some interesting places to try out. The lake View lounge in Lake Louise and Sky 360 tower with such amazing views would be my top picks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a meal with a view, so I found the lakeview lounge at the Fairmont the most interesting of all these great choices. I would also be keen to have afternoon tea at Prince of Wales, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These all look like amazing experiences, but I would love to dine in front of Lake Louise or on Sky 360!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They all sound like amazing dining experiences. I would definitely want to go to the famous Fairmont! It's a must when that close to Lake Louise. I would also like to try the afternoon tea at Prince of Wales. I've done this before in Victoria and loved it. When I was last in Calgary, I dined at a couple of restaurants in the downtown area, if only I could remember the names!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment