Cruising Past Seventy: The Inner Journeys: Our Lifestyle Adventures: Leaving No Stone Unturned in the Canadian Rockies, Part 1

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Our Lifestyle Adventures: Leaving No Stone Unturned in the Canadian Rockies, Part 1

into the Rockies
Baby-sitting Kai and Jax, my fifth and sixth grandkids, in Calgary, gave Bill and me the opportunity to leave no stone unturned in exploring the Canadian Rockies. In three weekends, we explored three of the four adjacent national parks that have been designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites. We had already visited Jasper National Park in 2009.  All four are only between 1 ½-3 ½ hours away from where my daughter Claudine lives. Part 1 is about Kootenay National Park.

On the Park Road
Continental Divide
points of interest
As soon as we entered Kootenay NP, we were welcomed by the age-old Continental Divide sign. I was thrilled it was all in yellow but unhappy the letters didn’t register well on our camera. It said: “This is the continental spine of western North America. At this location, it separates two watersheds, two provinces, and two national parks.” Immediately after this landmark, we stopped at Marble Canyon, but it started to rain so we did not continue what would have been a great mile and a half walk. Neither did we stop at Paint Pots because it was still raining and we had seen lots in Yellowstone.

At Numa Falls, we found out the bridge had collapsed, and the area was closed. Bill and I decided to go over the fence and go as far as where the waters broke into a fall. Well, I tried but it was Bill who completed the feat, but I was so afraid he would fall that I kept on asking him to come back. The result is that we do not have good photos. But we caught a pensive raven watching everything we did! Then before we left, I spotted a red car that happily lent color to the otherwise drab scene of waters rushing down to fall against the gray and black mountains that had not burst into spring.

Sinclair Canyon
Neither did we stop at the Kootenay Valley Viewpoint because the rain had not stopped. We thought we could just see it on the way back. Soon after, we saw the sign for Radium Hot Springs. We did not stop because we intended to spend a couple of hours there the following day from Radium Village. Right after the hot springs, a breathtaking scene suddenly appeared. It was the Sinclair Canyon! It was such a sight and, of course, we stopped for a photo!

Columbia Valley

bighorn sheep roaming around Radium Village

And only a few minutes after, we reached the Best Western Plus Inn in the Radium village where we stayed for the weekend. We had a quick soak in the spa tub, and indoor pool then proceeded to the Visitor Information Center to confirm how best to spend our day and a half. Before crossing the street for dinner at the pub across the road, lo and behold, some of the bighorn sheep that have made the town home were on the Center grounds waiting to be photographed by two excited visitors! 

Scenes in and around Invermere on Windermere Lake in the Columbia Valley
The Columbia Valley is in the western foothills of the Canadian Rockies. It is the region in the Rocky Mountains Trench near the headwaters of the Columbia River between the towns of Golden and the Canal Flats. The central hub of the valley is the town of Invermere which is on the beautiful Windermere Lake. The road to Invermere gave us a lot of interesting shots of mountain goats, red-lined churches, and a field of dandelions. We walked through downtown and had lunch there. 

Radium Hot Springs
There are two towns with hot springs in the Valley, Fairmont Hot Springs and Radium Hot Springs, which was nearer our hotel. It was named after the radioactive element when an analysis of the water showed that it contained small traces of radon, a decay product of radium. The radiation dosage from bathing in the pools is inconsequential for a half-hour bathing. The air concentration of radon is higher than the level at which mitigation is necessary at residences but is also insignificant for a half-hour bathing. Radium was formerly thought to have curative powers, but that has since been disproven. So we bathed for just half an hour in the hot pool, skipped the cold one, and just tried the heat in the Plunge Pool, which is near the source. It was not as hot as we expected.

The day ended with a German dinner at the famous restaurant in Radium, Old Salzburg. Across the road was a weird looking house featured on TV. It is the Woodcarver's Home. What a town!

Next part will be about Yoho National Park and the town of Golden in the Valley.
Woodcarver's Home

46 comments:

  1. I simply couldn't leave your website prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard info a person supply for your guests?
    Is going to be bwck continuously to check up on new posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, You’ve done aan incredible job. I’ll certainly
    digg it and personally recommend to my friends.I am confident they’ll be benefited
    from this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this site.
    It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's difficult to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and appearance.

    I must say you've done a superb job with this.
    Additionally, the blog loads very quick for me on Internet explorer.
    Exceptional Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great web site. Plenty of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thank you on your sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room
    mate! He always kept talking about this. I
    will forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very shortly this web site will be famous among all blogging and site-building visitors, due to it's pleasant content

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read
    this post i thought i could also make comment due to this good article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi tһere, yeah this post is truly nice and I have learned ⅼot of things
    from it concerning blogցing. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Real wonderful visual appeal on this internedt site , I’d value it 10 10.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I
    came to take a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Outstanding blog and amazing style and design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this wevsite because so much usseful material on here : D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always spent my half an hour to read this
    web site's posts every day along with a mug of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helpful information. Thanks for anothesr fantastic post.
    I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Helpful information. Thanks for another fantastic
    post. I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice post! I really like yojr blog.You’ve done a
    good job. Keep going... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I alwayѕ spent my half an hour to read this blog's articles everyday along with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr...
    well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goood article! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our site.Keep up the grrat writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Useful information. Very interesting topic, outstanding post.I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there! I could have sworn I've visited this blog before but after
    going through many of the posts I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm certainly delighted I found it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice post! I really like your blog.You’ve done a good job.
    Keep going... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice post. I was checiing continuously this blog annd I’m
    impressed! Very udeful information specially the last
    part :) I care for suh inmfo a lot. I was looking for this particularr information for a long time.

    Thank you and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been checking out some of your articles and i must say pretty
    clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your
    site.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
    It will always be interesting to read through content from other
    authors and use something from their websites.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to take a road trip up the Canadian Rockies. We were just booking travel this fall to Montana and are considering crossing the northern border. Here's a hint if you're trying to take a picture of a faded sign. Take it in low light and used an off camera light source to side illuminate the face. We did this with some of the inscriptions ad Chichen Itza and they came out beautifully. It's all about creating the shadows and contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say
    that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    In any case I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I saw a lot of website but I believe this one has got something extra in it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you book-marked to look at new
    things you post?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to
    assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement
    you access consistently rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I all tһe time emailed this blog post page to all my contacts, because iif lije to
    reaɗ it afterward my contacts will too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is my first time go to see at here and i am truly impressed to read all
    at alone place.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I went over this site and I believe you have a lot of fantastic
    information, saved to fav (:.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you
    could be a great author.I will always bookmark your
    blog and definitely will come back someday. I want to
    encourage you to ultimately continue your great posts, have a nice
    weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one's site, maintain up the excellent
    operate, and It's going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic website. Plenty of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to some buddies ans also sharing in delicious.
    And certainly, thanks foor your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Greetings fгom California! I'm bored to dеath aat work so
    I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch
    break. I really ⅼike thee info you provіde here and can't waіit to
    take а look when I get home. I'm surprised ɑt how quick your blog loaded on my mobiⅼe ..
    I'm not even usibg WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like this blog very much, Its a real nice spot to read and receive info.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just now wanted to thank you one more time for the amazing web page you have created here.
    Its full of ideas for those who are really interested in this specific subject, especially this very post.

    You really are all actually sweet in addition to thoughtful of others plus reading your site posts is a
    wonderful delight in my experience. And exactly what a
    generous surprise! Ben and I will have excitement making use of your tips in what we should instead do in the future.
    Our checklist is a kilometer long and tips will certainly be put to great use.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research about this.
    We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I
    learned more clear from this post. I'm very glad to see such wonderful information being shared freely out there.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey There. I found your blog the use of msn. This is a really smartly written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post.
    I'll certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  42. If you are going for best contents like I do, only pay a visit this website all the time
    for the reason that it provides quality contents, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you ever
    been running a blog for? you made blogging look easy. Thhe entire glance of your website is wonderful, let alone the content!

    ReplyDelete
  44. So great that you got to visit the Canadian Rockies for 3 weekends. The views through the mountains are so stunning. And you brought back such great memories of stopping on the highway when the animals wanted too cross. You make me want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  45. As a website owner I think the articles here is extremely outstanding, thanks for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment